1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Think Like a Mechanical Engineer

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    Hi! So I was hoping to hear from some mechanical engineers about what sort of things I should be doing to become a good engineer. Are there any books you could recommend to read or maybe some projects to do that would help me to start thinking more like an engineer? I feel like all the people in my classes already know so much, and I'm basically starting from zero. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2014 #2
    Hello jdawg, the best advice I could give you is to start working on a project, or build something. Tinkering with different things that interest you is the first step to understanding some of the basic principles you need to know in order to be an engineer; you will learn from the books as you go.

I would look into some simple DIY or Arduino projects to get started. There's an abundance of information/forums online with some great ideas. Good luck!

4. Mar 1, 2014 #3
    Just practice by doing real projects of some sort.

5. Mar 1, 2014 #4
    Thanks! Those projects look really cool :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook