Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to trace over spinor indices?

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    I would like to take the trace over spinorial indices of the following expression:

[tex](\gamma_{\mu}\gamma^{0})_{\alpha}^{\beta}=(\gamma_{\mu})_{\alpha}^{\gamma}(\gamma^{0})_{\gamma}^{\beta}[/tex].

How do I go about doing this? I reckon I could expand the trace out (let's say I want to do this in 4D) and use a particular representation of the algebra of the gammas, but is there a representation-independent way of doing it?

Also, it confuses me that in the equation above, if one traces over it, it becomes [itex](\gamma_{\mu})_{\alpha}^{\beta}(\gamma^{0})_{\beta}^{\alpha}[/itex], where the beta index is summed over properly according to the spinor northwest-southeast convention, while the alphas aren't. Is this a problem?

I guess my main question is, how do you take a trace over spinor indices?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can start from the anti-commutation relation ##\{\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu\} = 2 g^{\mu\nu}## and use the cyclic property of the trace.

4. Nov 21, 2014 #3
    So you mean:

[tex]Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}+\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu})=2Tr(g^{\mu\nu})[/tex]

and the LHS can be expanded as

[tex]Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu})+Tr(\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu})=Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu})+Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu})=2Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu})[/tex]

So [itex]Tr(\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu})=Tr(g^{\mu\nu})=4I[/itex]

5. Nov 21, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly, apart from the last step. The last step is really a trace of the identity matrix multiplied by the metric (##\mu## and ##\nu## are Lorentz indices, not spinor indices) and hence ##tr(g^{\mu\nu}) = g^{\mu\nu} tr(\mathbb 1) = 4g^{\mu\nu}##.

6. Nov 21, 2014 #5
    Of course, you are right. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook