How toxic is strontium 90 (lab use)?

• Thread starter moogull
  • Start date
In summary, if you are working with plastic poker-chip-like samples that contain strontium-90, be very careful because the substance is very toxic. Sr-90 is not a problem for exempt sources, but Co-60 is. Consumer spending is good for the economy, but do not buy green bananas.
moogull
Out of curiosity and maybe needless concern, how toxic is strontium-90? I was working with some plastic poker-chip like samples containing sr-90 for a lab class, and I just really don't like the prospect of exposing myself to radiation otherwise avoidable?

Edit: Oh and the same about cobalt-60?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to break open the chip and ingest the material it would not be good.

Of course, the same thing can be said for batteries.

Are your affairs in order? Not because of that sample, but because any of us can get hit by a meteor at any time. As for the sample, don't worry about it. It's too late. I mean, we don't know what the actual radiation level was, and you wouldn't want to bet your life on those so- called facts anyway, would you. So just enjoy every moment that you can. Call everyone on your contact list and tell them you love them. That red sports car (or oscilloscope) that you always wanted, buy it today. Not that you're sick, but consumer spending is supposed to be good for the economy. So relax and enjoy yourself. Just don't buy any green bananas.

moogull said:
Out of curiosity and maybe needless concern, how toxic is strontium-90? I was working with some plastic poker-chip like samples containing sr-90 for a lab class, and I just really don't like the prospect of exposing myself to radiation otherwise avoidable?

Edit: Oh and the same about cobalt-60?

How many curies are the sources? Typically those types of plastic lab sources used for educational purposes contain such minute quantities as to be completely harmless.

Sources used in classrooms are usually exempt sources, which for Sr-90 is 100 nCi and Co-60 1 uCi. Ant professor who allows students to handle non-exempt sources without appropriate radiation safey training is in violation of the RAM license (at least as far as the US is concerned).

Exempt sources are those that are of such low activity that they do not pose an unreasonable risk to the public (in other words, you could order one from the manufacturer without a RAM license).

BobHamilton said:
Are your affairs in order? Not because of that sample, but because any of us can get hit by a meteor at any time. As for the sample, don't worry about it. It's too late. I mean, we don't know what the actual radiation level was, and you wouldn't want to bet your life on those so- called facts anyway, would you. So just enjoy every moment that you can. Call everyone on your contact list and tell them you love them. That red sports car (or oscilloscope) that you always wanted, buy it today. Not that you're sick, but consumer spending is supposed to be good for the economy. So relax and enjoy yourself. Just don't buy any green bananas.

That's evil..

I know its probably so little danger, thanks for the responses, cept for you BobHamilton.

OK. I am Sorry! I was tired. I'll try again. Here is a link with some good info.
(The program would not let me include the link until I have 10 posts, so I'll write out everything http colon slash slash epa dot gov slash rpdweb00 slash radionuclides slash strontium dot html)
Most of my previous answer was correct, wasn't it? Worrying about some things is many times worse than the actual danger they present. But of course you were correct to at least double check to learn what you were dealing with. So you can go ahead and buy green bananas for a very long time. Inshallah.

Oh alright! I like your input too Bob, Thank you for the link :)

1. What is strontium 90 and why is it used in laboratories?

Strontium 90 is a radioactive isotope of strontium, a chemical element found in the earth's crust. It is used in laboratories for various purposes, including as a tracer in medical and environmental studies, and as a source of radiation for industrial radiography.

2. How toxic is strontium 90 and what are the risks associated with exposure?

Strontium 90 is highly radioactive and can be extremely toxic if ingested or inhaled. It has been linked to various health issues, including cancer, as it can accumulate in the bones and tissues and continue to emit radiation over a long period of time.

3. How is strontium 90 measured and what is considered a safe level of exposure?

Strontium 90 is measured in units of radioactivity, such as becquerels or curies. The safe level of exposure for strontium 90 is considered to be 0.1 microcuries per gram of body weight per day, as recommended by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

4. What precautions should be taken when handling strontium 90 in a laboratory setting?

When handling strontium 90, it is important to follow strict safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and using proper storage containers. It is also important to limit exposure time and keep a safe distance from the source of radiation. Proper disposal of any materials contaminated with strontium 90 is also crucial.

5. What are the regulations and guidelines for the use of strontium 90 in laboratories?

In the United States, the use of strontium 90 in laboratories is regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. This includes obtaining a license for its use, following specific safety protocols, and properly disposing of any materials contaminated with strontium 90. Additionally, various international organizations, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency, provide guidelines for the safe handling and use of strontium 90.