How useful is this if I want to begin programming?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SleipnirTheHorse
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
30 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

SleipnirTheHorse said:
I have memorized programming with multiple apps,
Sorry, what does that mean? I'm not sure what "memorizing" has to do with the concept of programming. Do you mean memorizing the syntax of a particular language? Which language(s)? Or do you mean something else? Thanks.
 
If you want to have fun with programming check out the Processing.org site. Processing is java based but gives you full control of the screen for drawing and full access to the mouse and keyboard for interacting with your program.

With only a few lines of code you can do some amazing things.
 
I would stay away from obsolete Basic. I don't know what is best for beginners. Python is ok and popular.
 
Processing is best for beginners!

There, I said it. Now, go out and learn it.

Here's my Joy of Processing insight article:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-joy-of-processing/

www.processing.org

Welcome to Processing!​

Processing is a flexible software sketchbook and a language for learning how to code. Since 2001, Processing has promoted software literacy within the visual arts and visual literacy within technology. There are tens of thousands of students, artists, designers, researchers, and hobbyists who use Processing for learning and prototyping.
 
jack action said:
Maybe you should check it out for yourself:

​

I actually played it as a child. So technically I have?
 
Most programs which teach Python or other such languages use quizzes and memorization. This has been my experience.
 
While Basic can teach you certain fundamentals of programming practice and style, I wouldn't stop at just learning one language. Why? because when you're a hammer, everything is a nail. If all you know is one language, you'll try to make that language fit every paradigm/problem. Also, memorization is not learning to program. Think of it like this memorizing a recipe isn't the same as learning to cook.

Here are my recommendations:

1. Basic - just to get fundamentals down.
2. C language - it's good to know fundamentals of pointers and memory management as well as implementing data structures.
3. C++ or Java - best for teaching Object Oriented Programming, wide use in industry.
4. Python - Widely used today in industry.

Best of luck,
bryantcl
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz, AlexB23 and symbolipoint
SleipnirTheHorse said:
Most programs which teach Python or other such languages use quizzes and memorization.
Quizzes are OK when you're first learning the syntax of a programming language, and a certain amount of memorization is necessary, but to really learn to program, you need to write a few simple programs to see what the various programming elements do and how they work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and symbolipoint
jack action, we must accept that the video of post #2, you are trying to be helpful and inspirational, but a few of us may recall the metaphoric description, "lipstick on a pig".
note: I am still trying to watching the video.
 
SleipnirTheHorse said:
TL;DR: Old Video Game that teaches Programming in Basic, it's from Interplay (Defunct)

would this work?
Way back it took me quite some time to mediate wrong habits rooted in 'Basic'. That CD is lot younger than those days of mine, but still - it's hopelessly old and outdated.
I would recommend picking something else, modern.
 
SleipnirTheHorse said:
TL;DR: Old Video Game that teaches Programming in Basic, it's from Interplay (Defunct)

https://archive.org/details/Interplays_Learn_to_Program_Basic_CD-C95-357-0

I have memorized programming with multiple apps, yet really got it down, would this work?
Looking at the disc's title, "Learn To Program BASIC", I wonder what form or what kind or what identity of BASIC is shown or used for the disc or its video? (or, do I misunderstand? The word is written as "Basic", mostly lower-case letters.)
 
If you are going old school Basic, try the famous "Illustrating Basic" by Donald Alcock:

https://archive.org/details/ibaspl

But progress to something like modern C after that.

JavaScript/canvas is a learning option, you can use a simple text editor to create an .html file, and just run it in a web browser.
 
Last edited:
Learn the basic algorithms, the difference between types of languages and RTFMs. Keep up to date. (Was that short enough @symbolipoint ?) :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
Get an IDE (e.g Eclipse or VisualStudio or... plenty of...) If you want to do Android programs, AndroidStudio. Get the AI assistant plugin.
The hard part it is understand what the assistant do for you.
Learning is only by practice.The difficult part are the libraries. But AI will help yoi.
However, if you use AI assistant save all intermediate works.
 
Visual Studio is by far the best editor IMO. But beware that an advanced IDE will hide a lot of details from you, so if one day you don’t have access to it you might experience frustration. And yes Android Studio is industry standard for smartphone development right now, but man it’s a heavy dancepartner. (It’s written in Java right?)
 
I've used Visual Studio for decades, its the best of the big mainstream dev tools, much better than the massive 8Gb Android Studio. In fact still use MSVC 4.2 for 32 bit, MSVC1.52 for 16 bit builds. (<100Mb install)

If you have a Linux install you may already have gcc, one of the best command line C++ compilers. I often just use a lightweight editor like Geany, and Puppy Linux.

There is often a lot of overhead to learn for modern platforms, starting with simple Basic is not such a bad idea.
 
oracle99 said:
I've used Visual Studio for decades, its the best of the big mainstream dev tools, much better than the massive 8Gb Android Studio. In fact still use MSVC 4.2 for 32 bit, MSVC1.52 for 16 bit builds. (<100Mb install)

If you have a Linux install you may already have gcc, one of the best command line C++ compilers. I often just use a lightweight editor like Geany, and Puppy Linux.

There is often a lot of overhead to learn for modern platforms, starting with simple Basic is not such a bad idea.
No, but Basic is mostly a Windoze tool. Also it has a steep learning curve. I’d recommend Java or C# for JITs and C/C++ for the deeper understanding.

EDIT: When I say Basic has a steep learning curve what I mean is that it seems easy in the beginning but when you want to do advanced stuff with it it becomes difficult.
 
Last edited:
oracle99 said:
I've used Visual Studio for decades, its the best of the big mainstream dev tools, much better than the massive 8Gb Android Studio. In fact still use MSVC 4.2 for 32 bit, MSVC1.52 for 16 bit builds. (<100Mb install)

If you have a Linux install you may already have gcc, one of the best command line C++ compilers. I often just use a lightweight editor like Geany, and Puppy Linux.

There is often a lot of overhead to learn for modern platforms, starting with simple Basic is not such a bad idea.
I use g++ and bypass all buildtools using BASH scripts for build. I’m not proud of this it just seems easier.
 
I think nowdays AI can program much better than any basic programmer and it is developing in this field pretty fast.
So,maybe one should learn to use AI more and use it to program and make yourself better.
 
Rishabh singh said:
I think nowdays AI can program much better than any basic programmer and it is developing in this field pretty fast.
So,maybe one should learn to use AI more and use it to program and make yourself better.
I made an experiment along these lines (search: vibe coding sbrothy). I was impressed yes, but if you don’t know what’s supposed to come out of the AI you’re just making a mess for those coming after you who has to refactor.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rishabh singh
Yeah but as i said earlier we need to learn to use it effectively.AI is not enough to take over it is us human who have to use this tech at full extent.
sbrothy said:
I made an experiment along these lines (search: vibe coding sbrothy). I was impressed yes, but if you don’t know what’s supposed to come out of the AI you’re just making a mess for those coming after you who has to refactor.
 
Rishabh singh said:
Yeah but as i said earlier we need to learn to use it effectively.AI is not enough to take over it is us human who have to use this tech at full extent.
Oh, there I wholeheartedly agree. AI is a tool but if you dont know what you’re doing and how you’re using it it’ll be a mess.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rishabh singh
sbrothy said:
Oh, there I wholeheartedly agree. AI is a tool but if you dont know what you’re doing and how you’re using it it’ll be a mess.
Yeah that's True and I agree to this with all my heart. That's why i said using it to full potential.Its just a tool which can make mistakes but we humans are the ones who have to make it better.