Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How well accepted is M-Theory?

1. Dec 31, 2011 #1
    Lately popular science 'rags' have been selling M-theory especially after Stephen Hawking and Brian Green's recent books and tv shows.

Just how well accepted or widely rejected is M-theory?

Are we seeing a paradigm change or is just the media tying to sell papers?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think you should consider it a hotly debated subject with defenders and detractors arguing over it.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #3
    It hasn't provided any experimentally verified predictions, or been otherwise experimentally supported, so scientifically speaking it is about 0% accepted :smile:

Not rejected either, because it has not been experimentally tested.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #4
    @torquil
    I see your answer comes down to "Ahh! what is this! This is not science!" :-) But can I please ask for your opinion on the question below?

@all
    Can anyone provide some kind of metric? Like "N% of scientists I know are working on it, vs T% of scientists punched me when I asked them about it, whereas W% are sitting on the fence"

6. Jan 1, 2012 #5
    Although I don't know the answer to that, perhaps you could try to search Spires for the keyword M-theory like what is done in the second post here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=233600

The problem is that it might not be good enough to just count the yearly number of articles that mention the keyword "M-theory".

7. Jan 2, 2012 #6

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

This is not how science works.

8. Jan 3, 2012 #7
    @tom.stoer: paradigm is a religion? :-)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook