How well do you recognize faces?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the test does not rely on memory alone, as shadows and angles are changed during the test.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Take the test here: http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/
"Online Cambridge Face Memory Test"

The test does not rely on memory alone, as shadows and angles are changed during the test.
I was really surprised: I nonchalantly took the test and had them all right :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I got 75% right. I had a harder time picking out faces by the end, not just because of the way they were obscured, but because I had seen so many by then, I was starting to have trouble remembering which were the targets and which just looked familiar because they were reused during the test. I can usually recognize my students even if I can't remember their names, so I think I'm okay with remembering faces I need to remember. :wink:

89% but, yes, after seeing so many, and so very similar, my mind just started to get tired. I thought that was pretty interesting. I noticed I tended to focus on eyebrows and eyes more than any other characteristic.

Moonbear said:
I had a harder time picking out faces by the end, not just because of the way they were obscured, but because I had seen so many by then, I was starting to have trouble remembering which were the targets and which just looked familiar because they were reused during the test.
Well, it is one of the variables that you face in real life too: pick out that one face among the many other familiar ones. I wonder how people would perform if they would use asian faces in the test, I always have a hard time recognizing those.

On the website there is another (but this one stupid) test: the famous faces test. I found out that it is very entertaining and entirely feasible to recognize faces that you know by look out the chin/mouth alone (my browser contantly displayed the bottom of the page).

I got 79%, which is much better than I expected.

The faces were starting to creep me out... :eek: !

I got 96% correct. I've always been very good at recognizing faces, it's the names I can't remember worth a darn...

1. How does the brain recognize faces?

The brain recognizes faces through a process called "face perception." This involves the brain's ability to process visual information and categorize it as a face, as well as analyze facial features and make connections to past experiences and memories associated with that face.

2. Can face recognition be improved?

Yes, face recognition can be improved through practice and training. This is because the brain can create new neural connections and strengthen existing ones through repeated exposure to recognizing faces.

3. Are some people better at recognizing faces than others?

Yes, some people have a natural ability to recognize faces, while others may struggle with it. This is due to differences in brain structure and function, as well as previous experiences and training.

4. How does aging affect face recognition?

Aging can affect face recognition abilities, as the brain's ability to process visual information may decline over time. This can make it more difficult to recognize faces, especially if the person has not been seen in a long time.

5. Can face recognition be used as a reliable form of identification?

While face recognition technology is becoming more advanced, it is not currently considered a completely reliable form of identification. Factors such as lighting, angles, and changes in facial appearance can impact the accuracy of face recognition systems.