1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How were these line fitting equations derived?

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    I've run into these formulas many times but I've never seen how they were derived.

Say you want to fit a line to some data. Your data is a bunch of (xi,yi) pairs.

Through some kind of magic, the slope m and the y-intercept b are given by these formulas:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9250/eb49c97d171bcd52e220911.png [Broken]
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5681/bdea06a3287d543f035cac4.png [Broken]

My attempt at deriving them:

I set up a matrix equation Ax=b and use the pseudoinverse to find the least-squares solution: x = inv(A'*A)*A'*b where A' is A transpose.

Annnnnd now I'm stuck. :) How would you go from that to those two formulas? Or maybe I'm headed in the wrong direction...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Finding a, b so that y= ax+ b gives the "least squares" best fit to the set of points [itex](x_i, y_i)[/itex] means "solving" the equations [itex]y_i= ax_i+ b[/itex] for all i. That is equivalent to the matrix equation Ax= y or
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & 1 \\ x_2 & 1 \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ x_n & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ y_n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now that is a linear transformation from [itex]R^2[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] and so its image is a 2 dimensional subspace of [itex]R^n[/itex]. If the vector
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ \cdot \\ y_n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    happens to lie in that subspace, that is, if the points happen to lie on a straight line, then there would be a precise solution. If not, then then you are looking for the <a, b> that comes closest to that. Geometrically, you can find that solution vector by dropping a perpendicular from y to that two dimensional subspace. If [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] gives that "optimal" solution, that is, if [itex]A\overline{x}[/itex] is closest to y, then [itex]A\overline{x}- y[/itex] is perpendicular to that two dimensional subspace, the space of all [itex]Ax[/itex]. That means that, for any A, the inner product [itex]<Ax, A\overline{x}- y>= 0[/itex].

Now the "adjoint" of A, [itex]A^+[/itex], has the property that [itex]<Ax, y>= <x, A^+y>[/itex] so here we have [itex]<Ax, A\overline{x}- y>= <x, A^+(A\overline{x}- y)>[/itex][itex]=<x, A^+A\overline{x}- A^+y>= 0[/itex]. But since that is true for all x in R2, we must have [itex]A^+A\overline{x}- A^+y= 0[/itex] or [itex]A^+A\overline{x}= A^+y[/itex].

Now we can solve for x by multiplying both sides by [itex](A^+A)^{-1}[/itex]:
    [itex]x= (A^+A)^{-1}A^+(y)[/itex]. That is the "pseudoinverse" you refer to.

Because, as before,
    [tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}x_1 & 1 \\ x_2 & 1 \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot \\ x_n & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]
    [tex]A^+= \begin{bmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & \cdot\cdot\cdot & x_n \\ 1 & 1 & 1 \cdot\cdot\cdot & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So that
    [tex]A^+A= \begin{bmatrix}\sum_{i= 1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum{i=1}^n x_i & n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]A^+ y= \begin{bmatrix}\sum_{i=1}^n x_iy_i & \sum_{i=1}^n y_i\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

So you want to solve the matrix equation
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\sum_{i= 1}^n x_i^2 & \sum_{i=1}^n x_i \\ \sum{i=1}^n x_i & n\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\sum_{i=1}^n x_iy_i & \sum_{i=1}^n y_i\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

That should be easy- its just a 2 by 2 matrix and the inverse of
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}A & B \\ C & D\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    is
    [tex]\frac{1}{AD- BC}\begin{bmatrix}D & -B \\ -C & A\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. May 13, 2009 #3
    What an amazing reply! Thanks so much. It's so simple now that I see it, haha.

5. May 14, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I seem to remember it can be derived just by finding minimum value of

[tex]\sum(y_i - a x_i - b)^2[/tex]

that is, solving

[tex]\frac { \partial \sum(y_i - a x_i - b)^2 } { \partial a } = 0[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac { \partial \sum(y_i - a x_i - b)^2 } { \partial b } = 0[/tex]

6. May 14, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yeah, but my explanation was much cooler!:rofl:

More seriously, it also has the advantage that the same argument can be applied directly to "least squares parabola", "least squares cubic", etc.

For a least squares parabola, use
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1^2 & x_1 & 1 \\ x_2^2 & x_2 & 1 \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ x_n^2 & x_n & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    instead of
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & 1 \\ x_2 & 1 \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ \cdot & \cdot & \cdot \\ x_n & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  7. May 14, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

[tex]
    \sum(y_i - a x_i^2 - b x_i - c)^2
    [/tex]

Still doable :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook