How would I go about doing this?

• Thread starter Shashank R.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about designing an intake system for the FIRST Robotics Competition. The totes have specific dimensions and weight, and the goal is to create something similar to the subsystem with two wheels that can articulate and suck the totes in. The challenge is to determine the maximum spring load that will allow the wheels to have enough friction and force to pull the totes in without opening or closing the arms. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to approach this design challenge.
Shashank R.
Hi, right now I'm designing an intake system for FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition). Basically, there are the
totes:
picture-9.jpg

(For one tote):
Dimension: 26.9" x 16.9" x 12.1"
Weight: 7.8 lbs

Now I'm designing something to suck the totes in, something similar to this:
2-25-15-blog.jpg

See at the bottom the subsystem with the two wheels? Now in my design these will be able to articulate, but it will be held in place with a spring load. I want to figure out the maximum spring load I can put in so that the friction between the wheels and the end of the tote can still overcome the springs, but it has to be a strong enough load so that the wheels can still have enough friction and force to suck the totes in from either side. Sorry if this is a little confusing, so please ask any questions to clear things up. I'm not asking for any calculations to be done for me, but just some guidance on how I go about doing this.

Thanks, Shashank R.

Engineering news on Phys.org
(UPDATE)

Please observe the robot in the bottom right hand corner:

It sucks in totes fed through the chute, but they open and close their arms. I'm trying to do the same, but without opening or closing the arms, but leaving the articulatable, held in with a spring load.

1. How would I go about designing an experiment?

The first step in designing an experiment is to clearly define your research question or hypothesis. Then, identify the variables that you will be manipulating and measuring. Next, determine the appropriate experimental design and choose your experimental and control groups. Finally, create a detailed procedure outlining the steps you will take to collect data and analyze your results.

2. How would I go about conducting a literature review?

To conduct a literature review, start by clearly defining your research question or topic of interest. Then, search for relevant articles and sources using databases and search engines. Read and analyze each source, taking notes and identifying key findings. Finally, synthesize the information from your sources and draw conclusions based on the existing research.

3. How would I go about analyzing my data?

The first step in analyzing data is to organize and clean it, ensuring that it is accurate and complete. Then, choose the appropriate statistical tests based on your research question and the type of data you have collected. Run the tests and interpret the results, making sure to consider any limitations or confounding factors that may affect your conclusions.

4. How would I go about writing a scientific research paper?

To write a scientific research paper, start by outlining your paper and organizing your ideas and data. Then, write an introduction that provides background information and states your research question or hypothesis. Next, describe your experimental design, methods, and results in detail. Finally, discuss your findings and their implications, and conclude by summarizing your key points and suggesting future research directions.

5. How would I go about presenting my research findings?

To present your research findings, start by creating a clear and visually appealing presentation, using graphs, tables, and images to help illustrate your data. Then, practice your presentation and make sure you are familiar with your topic and can clearly explain your findings. Finally, engage your audience and be prepared to answer any questions they may have about your research.