How should I go about learning electronics/computer hardware

In summary, the speaker is interested in electronics and computer hardware and plans to study engineering/programming in the future. They would like to gain experience through side projects, specifically in robotics, and are seeking guidance from the Physics Forum's community for recommended books, courses, and projects. They receive a suggestion to start with an Arduino and explore online projects that interest them.
Robit1769
Hi, I have been interested in electronics and computer hardware for some time now. I'm will be going to school for engineering/programming; however, until then, I would like to engage in a few side projects to gain some concrete experiences within this domain. Specifically, I kind of want to get into robotics, but I am in need of some guidance here. Does the Physics Forum's community have any recommended books/courses/projects to get a good broad foundation for robotics/electronics/computer hardware?

Thanks, have a good one!

Engineering news on Phys.org
buy an ardunio and start making stuff.
there are a lot of simple guides and tutorials online

Likes analogdesign
I agree about diving in with an Arduino, but I always add:

Look through online arduino projects until you find one that is compelling to you. No matter what, the first thing you will do is press a button to light an LED, but do it as part of a project that interests you.

1. How do I get started in learning electronics and computer hardware?

To get started in learning electronics and computer hardware, it is important to have a basic understanding of electricity and circuitry. Start by learning the fundamentals of electricity, such as Ohm's Law and basic circuit components. Then, move on to learning about digital logic and computer architecture. You can find many resources online, such as tutorials, videos, and online courses, to help you get started.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to learn electronics and computer hardware?

No, you do not necessarily need any prior knowledge or experience in order to learn electronics and computer hardware. However, having a basic understanding of math, physics, and technology can be helpful. With dedication and persistence, anyone can learn the fundamentals of electronics and computer hardware.

3. How can I practice and apply what I am learning?

One of the best ways to practice and apply what you are learning in electronics and computer hardware is to build projects. Start with simple projects, such as building a basic circuit or assembling a computer, and then gradually move on to more complex projects. You can also find online communities and forums where you can share your projects and get feedback from others.

4. What tools and equipment do I need to learn electronics and computer hardware?

To learn electronics and computer hardware, you will need some basic tools and equipment such as a soldering iron, multimeter, and breadboard. You can also use online simulation tools to build and test circuits without the need for physical components. As you progress, you may need to invest in more specialized tools and equipment.

5. How long does it take to become proficient in electronics and computer hardware?

The time it takes to become proficient in electronics and computer hardware varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your dedication, prior knowledge, and the complexity of the concepts you are learning. With consistent practice and self-study, you can become proficient in the basics within a few months. However, mastering the subject may take several years of continuous learning and application.