How should I go about relearning Physics?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Louns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a recent physics graduate who is currently working in the semiconductor industry and is dissatisfied with their job. They are studying for the pGRE in order to apply for grad schools, but feel that their current study materials are not suitable. They are using the Feynman lecture series but are struggling with the exercises. The speaker is looking for suggestions for self-learning and is hoping to take the test in April, but is concerned about their progress. Another forum member suggests checking out the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" for insight into areas that need improvement. The speaker agrees that they may need to use a more basic textbook.
Louns
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am looking for some guidance from people who have been in similar situations as me. I'm currently working in the semiconductor industry and feel dissatisfied with what I am doing. I graduated with a BS in Physics in 2014 and I am now trying to study for the pGRE so I can apply for grad schools. However, I feel like my study materials aren't exactly designed for this. I am using the Feynman lecture series as my reintroduction to physics, but I am having a hard time doing the exercises that come along with it. Since it takes me a while to do any of the problems, I don't think this is truly the best way for me to relearn the material. Does anyone have a better suggestion for self learning? I would like to take the test in April, but at the rate I am going, I will fail. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the book "Conquering the Physics GRE". It might not do much for you, but maybe it will give you good insight into what areas you need to brush up on.

Yeah, I have been using that too. I think I might need to get a more basic textbook and work through it.

1. How much time should I dedicate to relearning Physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to relearning Physics depends on your current level of understanding and the complexity of the concepts you are trying to relearn. It is important to set aside a consistent amount of time each day or week to study and practice, but make sure to also take breaks to avoid burnout.

2. What resources should I use to relearn Physics?

There are many resources available to help you relearn Physics, such as textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and provide clear explanations of the concepts.

3. How can I make the most out of my relearning experience?

To make the most out of your relearning experience, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, asking questions, and practicing problems. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources or work with a tutor if you are struggling with certain concepts.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific concept?

If you are struggling with a specific concept, it is important to not get discouraged and to seek out additional resources or help. You can try approaching the concept from a different angle or working with a tutor who can provide one-on-one assistance.

5. How long will it take me to relearn Physics?

The amount of time it takes to relearn Physics varies for each individual and depends on factors such as your previous understanding, the complexity of the concepts, and the amount of time you dedicate to studying. It is important to be patient with yourself and focus on understanding the concepts rather than rushing through the material.