Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How would you calculate RF cavity dimensions?

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    In a linear accelerator that use cavities and microwaves or radio waves to accelerate particles, how would one find dimensions such as cavity openings, cavity size, length between cavities, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By specifying more carefully what you want to achieve.

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I usually use a ruler or tape measure.

(And if this isn't the answer you are looking for, reread your question and maybe ask something more specific)

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    Forgive me for not being very specific, I do not now enough to really ask the right questions. I'm trying to kind of learn everything about the construction, science, and math of linear accelerators that use cavities and radio/microwaves. Any information regarding this subject,, or where to find it, would be a huge help.

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Google will find thousands of papers and also many simplified descriptions at every level about that topic.

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wow - in response to a request to be more specific the subject goes from "deciding the cavity size" to "everything about".
    One of the more important skills in science and engineering is to narrow a topic down for investigation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted