What determines RF cavity size in particle accelerators?

• I
  • Thread starter SamuelCunningham3456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cavity Rf
SamuelCunningham3456
In a particle accelerator what determines a RF cavities size? Do they follow the same regulations drift tubes do when calculating there size? What formulas would a physicist use to build a RF cavity?

Physics news on Phys.org
About a zillion things. It needs to be sized for the RF frequency, which was probably decided years ago. It needs to be shaped properly for the beam pulse. It needs to fit in the building or the tunnel. And so on.

Likes mfb
I did not see your previous message on how to build an accelerator. I sincerely hope that this isn't an attempt to get advice "through the back door" as it were. There are a number of safety issues that are impossible to adequately cover in a forum like this.

Likes berkeman
I understand and acknowledge the risks that this project can present. Proper safety measures are being taken to ensure my safety and the safety of others. The accelerator that is being built runs on a high-voltage transformer that has the potential to cause muscles to contract when the body comes into contact with the electricity. All high-voltage components are insulated, but by no means should someone touch anything when it is engaged. The accelerator is controlled and monitored from a safe calculated distance away from the accelerator; no metal should be close to the accelerator, and electronic components next to the accelerator are to be covered by lead pads. The accelerator and the high RF components will be inside a faraday cage. I know metal that comes in contact with charged particles and X-rays can become radioactive as well.

Particle accelerator are fascinating but dangerous. I still have a lot to learn but i'm mostly focused of the dangers that they can give because I want a safe learning experience.

You did not indicate in your OP that you were doing this. That's not exactly honest. And if you weren't honest about this, how do we know you are honest about safety?

Further, it is evident from your post that you do not understand the hazards involved. The probability that someone will get hurt is higher than the probability that this device will work.

Likes berkeman, Motore and SamuelCunningham3456
Thread paused for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. As with your previous thread like this, our advice is to find an in-person Mentor there where you are who can help you learn and stay safe.