Human marathon limit challenged by Nike

In summary, Nike has launched a program to break the 2-hour marathon barrier, despite claims that it is not naturally possible. A physics blog suggests that the fastest possible marathon time is just above 2 hours, but recent record-breaking times show that there is no hard limit currently visible. Olympic marathoners continue to improve their times, showing incredible speed and endurance.
That's 4:34 splits. I could barely run one mile at that pace in college. I was happy to get under three and a half hours and I felt like I was flying.

Ygggdrasil said:
Here's a neat post from a physics blog from a while ago using some mathematical modeling to predict that the fastest possible marathon time is just above 2 hrs: https://gravityandlevity.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/the-fastest-possible-marathon/
An exponential fit starting at 2h+1h, used to predict something with a single-minute accuracy? That cannot work. See how the 2014 record ruined the whole analysis. I guess Bolt's 100 m record(s) ruined some similar trend lines - he ran 1% faster than anyone else.

I don't like trendline with running events either. Often records stand for a long time then get shattered and then the old record is trampled on by everyone else. That's usually due to a breakthrough new training method.

I think the idea is racing is invalid for actual record attempts, too many things on race day that makes data incomparable.

One more comment on the last years: the blog article Ygggdrasil linked was from April 2011. At that time, the record was 2:03:59, set in 2008. It was improved to 2:03:38 in September 2011, 2:03:23 in 2013, and finally 2:02:57 in 2014 - always at the Berlin marathon, but from 3 different runners. 6 years after the article was written, the record improved by 1 minute and 2 seconds, and 7 athletes achieved times better than the 2008 record.

Just based on the running times, there is no hard limit visible yet. In the last years not only the world record improved by 1 minute, the times of others improved by the same amount.

Olympic marathoners are just incredible. I remember watching the last few miles of the front runners and thinking my god they are running faster in these last miles than I can sprint.

1. What is the "Human marathon limit challenged by Nike"?

The "Human marathon limit challenged by Nike" refers to a recent event where Nike attempted to break the two-hour marathon barrier with their Breaking2 project. This project involved selecting three elite runners and providing them with advanced technology and support to help them run a marathon in under two hours.

2. Did Nike successfully break the two-hour marathon barrier?

Despite their efforts, Nike was not able to break the two-hour marathon barrier with their Breaking2 project. The fastest time achieved was 2 hours and 25 seconds by Eliud Kipchoge, which is still an incredibly impressive feat but falls short of the two-hour mark.

3. What was the previous world record for the marathon?

The previous world record for the marathon was 2 hours, 2 minutes, and 57 seconds, set by Dennis Kimetto in 2014. This record still stands as the fastest marathon time ever recorded in a sanctioned race.

4. Why is breaking the two-hour marathon barrier significant?

Breaking the two-hour marathon barrier is significant because it represents a major milestone in human performance and endurance. It has long been considered the ultimate goal for marathon runners, and achieving it would push the limits of what we thought was possible for the human body.

5. Are there any potential implications for the sport of marathon running?

While Nike's Breaking2 project did not result in breaking the two-hour marathon barrier, it did push the boundaries of what we thought was possible for marathon runners. This could potentially lead to new training methods, technology, and strategies being developed to help athletes improve their performance and possibly break the two-hour mark in the future.