Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I want this kept in GD as any IE users would probably be in here, not computer technology. :wink:

This is really amazing what the US government has done to keep people from losing their connections. I'm impressed.

continued...

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-thousands-may-lose-internet-july-181324701--finance.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Once again, I can only lie back and laugh at those who don't have Macs.
    Even if this applied to me, I would rather lose my internet connection than have the Federal Bureau of Imbeciles escape the confines of their country to interfere in my life. They have no jurisdiction over anything outside of US borders.

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    DNS Resolution = GREEN

Your computer appears to have been looking up IP addresses correctly up until you visited this site!

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, wow... half a million Macs. As opposed to how many hundreds of millions of Windows-burners that get trashed on a regular basis, and often by Windows itself?
    Besides, there is nothing that can be done to my machine that will in any way inconvenience me, unless it crashes completely. In that case, I would just reinstall Leopard, zap the PRAM, and be back to business as usual. It's not as if there are Top Secret files in my address book or Documents folder.
    There is also always the option of turning it off, or at least disconnecting it from the net.

7. Apr 21, 2012 #6
    sorry, but I can't play video games with Macs

it's kind of a deal breaker

8. Apr 21, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Why apologize? It doesn't bother me any.

9. Apr 21, 2012 #8
    Hurray! My computer was green as well until I clicked on that site!

I don't care if my windows machine catches on fire and explodes. With the money I saved from not buying a Mac I'll buy two more.

10. Apr 21, 2012 #9

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Meh, I use Linux.

11. Apr 22, 2012 #10
    Microsoft Security Essentials is free and a highly rated anti-virus protection, but for malware I would recommend downloading a little extra protection such as "Malwarebytes" which is also free. Cnet is a great website for rating and downloading freeware. You can buy other common anti-virus programs like McAfee or Norton for around $60.oo, but if you really need better protection then the free programs can provide I'd suggest paying more and shopping around for which is rated the best at any given time.

12. Apr 22, 2012 #11
    Keep laughing, because I can buy three PC's for the price of your mac, with equal if not better performance.

And I don't have to carry around the pretentious douchebaggery that seems to come standard with the purchase of an apple product either.

13. Apr 22, 2012 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't laugh too hard until you have checked to see whether your Mac is infected with Flashback or SabPub. These are just the latest of the recent spate of backdoor attacks on the Mac.

14. Apr 22, 2012 #13

Danger

Gold Member

:confused:
    I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. There's absolutely no need t carry anything other than the computer itself. By choice, I always take the power cord so I don't have to consider battery life.
    Since the ex- gave me a nice Targa bag for it, which just perfectly fits in the cargo pouch of my walker, I also keep my accessories in it just so they don't get lost.

15. Apr 22, 2012 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

i use a mac and i'm proud
    i used to feel alone in a crowd
    but now you look around these days
    and it seems theres a pretentious CRAZE
    i'm pretentious he's pretentious she's pretentious we're pretentious
    wouldn't you like to be a pretentious douche?
    i'm pretentious he's pretentious she's pretentious
    if you use a mac you're a pretentious douche, also!
    sung to the tune of "I'm a Pepper"

ps. my macbook is nearly 5 years old now. I think the time saved by the fact that it only takes 30 seconds to boot up vs the 5 minutes is well worth the extra cash. Plus, I think it may have crashed twice in those 5 years.

pps. DNS Resolution = GREEN, just to keep me marginally on topic. o:)

16. Apr 22, 2012 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, Mac.... Mac.... dunno, never seen one. I guess they don't have a presence in the working world. :biggrin:

17. Apr 22, 2012 #16
    If your PC crashes more than once and takes 5 minutes to boot you're doing something seriously wrong.

18. Apr 22, 2012 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Every single person that I know in real life who has a Windows-burner experiences at least a couple of lethal crashes per year. That in spite of whatever Nortons and such-like they invest in.
    As for Flashback and SabPub, I have no idea whether or not my machine has them. If it does, it isn't being adversely affected by them. (Once or twice a month, Safari will quit while playing Adventure Quest—no other time—which it blames upon the Flash player. If that's the result of a world-menacing virus, I can live with it.

19. Apr 22, 2012 #18
    ...another mac vs. pc war.

I use both linux and windows, but my PC isn't infected! Then again, I only go to a select group of webpages.

20. Apr 22, 2012 #19
    I know no one who has had a single 'lethal' crash.
    Even the completely computer illiterate people I know have never had this problem.

21. Apr 22, 2012 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is completely off topic, back to the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook