Hurricane hunters spot 'stadium effect' inside Dorian's eye

In summary, Hurricane hunters spot 'stadium effect' inside Dorian's eye amid 'extremely intense' storm.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Hurricane hunters spot 'stadium effect' inside Dorian's eye amid 'extremely intense' storm, from, https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurrican...tadium-effect-cyclone.amp?cmpid=prn_newsstand

1567378409585.png
A collection of images and videos of the hurricane Dorian from, https://www.washingtonpost.com/weat...ane-dorian-near-peak-intensity/?noredirect=on

1567380468449.png

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Drakkith and PhanthomJay
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm in the projected cone for this beast. Wish me luck!

Likes berkeman, anorlunda and Nik_2213
Drakkith said:
I'm in the projected cone for this beast. Wish me luck!

Not on the coast I hope? Good luck! The beast nears.

Spinnor said:
Not on the coast I hope? Good luck! The beast nears.

5 Miles from the coast. :olduhh:

• Wow
Likes Greg Bernhardt
The Abacos were our favorite place in The Bahamas. My wife and I spent several months there including Marsh Harbor. We are very fond of the Bahamian people. I hope that the US and the world comes to the aid of those poor people.

The natural beauty of The Bahamas is in the water, not the islands. It is normally very clear. In the news films you can see the water is brown, almost black. That will negatively effect the ecology of those inland waters for decades. It is hard to keep in mind that hurricanes and periodic destruction, are part of the natural ecology in those areas.

The Bahamian Banks are stretches of water hundreds of miles across and only 3 m deep. The water is clear as glass, and the bottom is white sand, plus lots of sea life. They are magical. In moonlight, they appear to glow in the dark.

The banks just north of Grand Bahama Island is where Dorian has been stationary for 24 hours. Not only will the wave action be hard to imagine, but the shallow sea bottom and corals will be exposed to the wind part of the time. Think of the horror of a pod of dolphins caught in that.

Comparable in area and depth is Florida Bay (between the Florida Keys and the mainland.) The water there is turbid. But locals tell me it used to be clear like the Bahamas until a hurricane 20-30 years ago (perhaps Andrew?).

• Informative
Likes CPW, BillTre, Drakkith and 3 others

1. What is the "stadium effect" seen inside Dorian's eye?

The "stadium effect" is a phenomenon observed by hurricane hunters where the eye of a hurricane appears to have a stadium-like shape, with a clear ring of clouds surrounding the eye.

2. How is the "stadium effect" formed?

The "stadium effect" is formed when strong winds from the hurricane's eyewall push clouds outward, creating a clear area in the center of the eye. This effect is more prominent in larger and more intense hurricanes.

3. What is the significance of the "stadium effect" for hurricane forecasting?

The "stadium effect" can provide important information for hurricane forecasting, as it indicates the strength and intensity of the storm. The more defined and circular the "stadium effect" is, the stronger and more organized the hurricane is likely to be.

4. How do hurricane hunters spot the "stadium effect"?

Hurricane hunters use specialized instruments and equipment, such as radar and satellite imagery, to observe and track the "stadium effect" inside a hurricane's eye. They also fly directly into the eye of the hurricane to gather data and make observations.

5. Is the "stadium effect" a common occurrence in all hurricanes?

No, the "stadium effect" is not a common occurrence in all hurricanes. It is more commonly seen in larger and more intense hurricanes, and the shape and size of the "stadium effect" can vary depending on the specific storm.