1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybridisation and Variation theory [Quantum Mechanics]

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give examples of methods used to find approx. answers to the Schrödinger's eqn. of systems too complex to be solved analytically.

2. Relevant equations

None required.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand there are three methods commonly used, those mentioned in the title and a 3rd, perturbation theory (of which i can explain) however variation and hybridisation have me at a loss. I've tried many internet sources and my local physics library has no books available.

From what i understand Variation Theory envolves modifying the wave equations of fundamental systems used to describe a system (fundamental systems being things like the rigid rotor, harmonic oscillator, hydrogen-like atom etc.)

Hybridisation however i have less knowledge of, from the name i imagine its something to do with combining states of atoms/molecules.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    Actually i just found something on Variation theory, it's used to minimize the energy eigenvalue by varying the linear coefficients.

Just hybridisation i can't find information on now :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?