1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic or pneumatic for applying loads ranging between 500-1000lb

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    Hi all

I am finally at senior design and I am looking to use hydraulics or pneumonics to be the driver of my load application system. I have zero experience with either so need some guidance.

The intention is to have a testing device which can apply loads around 500 -1000 pounds. in three directions. I was looking into using pressure as I can have all of them drivin off a single pump.

I have been browsing the interent on the drawbacks of each and I was looking for more advice.

This system has to be small. So i am looking for miniature versions of everything compressor valve switch and linear actuators (with rod locks if using pneumatic).

any thoughts ?

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

You could technically use either, however, the hydraulic system will have a better response than the air one. Imagine pressuring up with a compressible medium - you'll have a sudden expansion in the cylinder as soon as it moves which will cause the pressure to drop rapidly. With a hydraulic medium this doesn't happen normally.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook