1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydroboration Reaction with BD3

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What would be the product of a Hyrdroboration/ oxidation reaction of 1-methylcyclopentene with deuterated Borane, BD3?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I know the solution for a reaction with BH3. However, would this give you the same answer or a totally different one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write out the detailed mechanism and you will have your answer.

4. Jan 1, 2011 #3
    Ummm, so does that mean that a D and an OH will be added? Because that's what I get when I write it out, and I'm not sure if that's right...

Also, how would one carry out this reaction?

3-hexyne ----------------> 3,4-dideuterio-3-hexene

I know the first step would be to hydrate with H2 and Lindlar catalyst, but how would you go about adding the two D's?

-Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. Jan 1, 2011 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What product would you get if you added H2 across the double bond? How about D2?

6. Jan 1, 2011 #5
    Ah, okay, I see your point now. I'd add D2 with the Lindlar catalyst instead. Thank you!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?