Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Anion where can I get some?

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    I saw that someone had previously posted
    "Does anyone know the ionic radius of hydride(anion of hydrogen)?." But I was curious about hydrogen anion is it expensive to purchase by the gram? Or how is it collected for research and other purposes? I am trying to learn more about the negative ion's of hydrogen, H- for the next science fair. English is my second language. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2
    I am not an expert, but I suspect pure hydride is difficult to store, as it will lose its electron easily. So, it makes sense to produce hydride near where the hydride is going to be used.

I have found a PDF detailing ways of producing them, some of which may be beyond your means. Nevertheless, here it is:
    http://lss.fnal.gov/archive/2005/pub/fermilab-pub-05-094-ad.pdf

4. Aug 11, 2015 #3
  5. Aug 12, 2015 #4
    LiH
    Yes. i want it to explode or fuse. Would that happen if i add cationic hydrogen, such as protonated molecular hydrogen or trihydrogen cation?

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You clearly don't have the required knowledge to handle those things safely. We won't help you to hurt yourself.

Hydrogen doesn't work the way you imagine here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook