I am here but i am also over there, can this be?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Andy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 8K views
Matter is energy. Glad I could answer that.

Time...that one indeed we cannot answer.

The equations of GR are not too difficult, just not easy.

As for your paradox, we cannot answer, hence why it is a paradox.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Andy
So its just aload of rubbish that people like to think makes sense even though it doesnt, just theories based upon other theories that we don't understand either.

I think some people may be confusing truth or essence with physical models. We have models that work. We have models that predict that time travel would occur given certain circumstances. I don't think any of modern physics is rubbish. In modern QM we have a model that work better than the sum of all that has come before. Do we have the right answers? I think no; but we don't know. That is your answer Andy; if anyone claims to know otherwise then they dismiss some of the greatest minds in science. The issue of time travel is one of controversy and is unresolved. We have found no absolute reason why we cannot travel forwards or backwards in time. We can only cite the many paradoxes and conundrums that seem to be implicit, and then continue to look for proof one way or the other. No one has ever suggested [to my knowledge] a time machine that could as yet actually be built. It could forever be a practical problem of having sufficient energy that makes time travel impossible.
 
Personally, I think asking questions pertaining to 'what is time' and 'what is matter' are particularly prevelant to Physics. If we did not ask such questions, would we have ever discovered the quark? Now, who's to say if we'll ever find out what the answers to these questions are, but we have to keep asking, if for no other reason than the sake of asking tough questions.