Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am looking for free symbolic math

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    hi.

i am looking for a free symbolic maths program like mathematica or maple. of course with less functionalities if it is free. but i don't need much apart from integration, series, and maybe a bit of matrix algebra. simple, small and light.

can't find it with google yet. do you know any?

btw i am a student. no money for buying mathematica.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    try macsyma

4. Sep 14, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Yes, as imabug has mentioned, you can use Maxima, it's pretty simple to use, and can do most things you need.
    If you want to work in a nicer environment, you can try to run Maxima under TexMacs or wxMaxima :)

5. Sep 14, 2006 #4
    oh right...macsyma was the old version, wasn't it.

6. Sep 14, 2006 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GAP. (some extre symbols to fill up 10 char requirement.)

7. Sep 14, 2006 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GAP (Groups, Algebra, Programming) is a cool program, although it's pretty focused -- it's all about abstract algebra & combinatorics, as far as I can see. It's not as general as Maxima (which is admittedly focused more on analysis).

For number theory there's not a whole lot in the way of symbolic packages, but PARI/GP and UBASIC are common (though more like calculators/programming languages than symbolic manipulation packages).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?