Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am not a teacher or even student of physics but I am translating a

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1
    I am not a teacher or even student of physics but I am translating a physics paper into English and I need some help. I have a sentence that may translate as follows:

"Newton introduced m-dependency upon taking into consideration, within the context of his second law, the experimental fact that all objects close to the Earth’s surface fall with the same gravitational acceleration."

Does the term "m-dependency" make sense in this context? The literal translation would be "dependence with m" and in previous sentences there is a definition of m as the mass of a planet.

Should I use "m-dependency" or "dependence on/with m"?

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: m-dependency

What does m-dependency mean? Dependence on some mass m?
    I would try to split that sentence into two smaller ones.

4. Dec 31, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

@mfb, the OP said the paper defined m as the mass of the planet.

I would translate it as "dependence on m". If you want to use a new techincal term like "m-dependency", you need to define what it means.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #4

Thank you. I will use dependence on m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook