I am not a teacher or even student of physics but I am translating a

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Turrialba
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I am not a teacher or even student of physics but I am translating a physics paper into English and I need some help. I have a sentence that may translate as follows:

"Newton introduced m-dependency upon taking into consideration, within the context of his second law, the experimental fact that all objects close to the Earth’s surface fall with the same gravitational acceleration."

Does the term "m-dependency" make sense in this context? The literal translation would be "dependence with m" and in previous sentences there is a definition of m as the mass of a planet.

Should I use "m-dependency" or "dependence on/with m"?

Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


@mfb, the OP said the paper defined m as the mass of the planet.

I would translate it as "dependence on m". If you want to use a new techincal term like "m-dependency", you need to define what it means.