1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am scientific and artistic glassblower

  1. Sep 21, 2012 #1

    I am a 36 year old glassblower, I never had to go to school for this, as it is learned more by apprenticeship, than schooling. I have become interested in Quantum Physics, and want to go to school and then work in the field. I have only graduated high school, but was top in my class. My question is, if I am going to start in junior college, What should I study? I would like to start with psychology and then move to physics. What schooling would one have to take to be a professor of quantum physics. Any information would be appreciated.

    Intimidated but moving forward

  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2


    User Avatar

    To be a professor of any kind of physics, you'll need a PhD in the field. That means a bachelors, masters, and PhD in physics - 8 to 12 years of college full time. Psychology won't help with that. Math will. There aren't a lot of jobs for professors, and most of the jobs are at schools that don't teach quantum or rarely teach it - you'd mostly be teaching other physics classes. In fact, you'll probably only take one semester of quantum as an undergrad, two at the most. I'm not sure why you think you're interested in it if you have no background in physics, but most people don't seem to realize it's mostly math.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook