Is it too late to pursue a career in physics at 32 years old?

  • Topic: Admissions 
  • Thread starter Thread starter what_is_going_on
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Career change Stem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
16 replies · 3K views
what_is_going_on
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Hello!

I am 32 now and wanting to go a totally different direction in life. I have obtained two bachelors in Criminology and Psychology. Took a year off, then ended up going into a graduate program for Chinese Medicine. Life events happened that led to me not finishing with just a year left. I have been out of school for a bit now.

The main reason I did not pursue math/physics initially is because I was young and did not know my potential for rigorous studying and simply put did not think I was smart enough. Now I know better.

Physics especially has always been a passion of mine. I've filled my brain with books, lectures and presentations online, even watching graduate level math lectures online, like MIT who posts them for free. Of course, I do not understand most/all of the information but I love sitting through them anyway.

I figure enough is enough and time to go to school for this.
I'm assuming my current specific fields of interest within physics may change while in school, but I know I have always been a research based leaning student.

If anyone has advice for what undergrad schools and programs for math/physics would be best for me to start with that would be amazing as there are so many that I do not know where to start when sifting through them. And yes, I do want to eventually obtain my Phd.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what_is_going_on said:
I am 32 now and wanting to go a totally different direction in life. I have obtained two bachelors in Criminology and Psychology. Took a year off, then ended up going into a graduate program for Chinese Medicine.
Those are majors for law enforcement officer candidates. Can you say what turned you off from your law enforcement career trajectory?

what_is_going_on said:
The main reason I did not pursue math/physics initially is because I was young and did not know my potential for rigorous studying and simply put did not think I was smart enough. Now I know better.
What is your math background so far? Have you taken a year or two of calculus, or do you still have that ahead of you?

Also (and you don't have to answer this if it is too personal), it seems that you have a large amount of financial support behind you at this point based on your multiple degrees and extra education efforts. Is money any issue at all going forward in your education, or is that not any consideration?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gwnorth, scottdave, russ_watters and 2 others
First off, this is not a path that has a high chance of success. Doing physics is considerably different from listening to physics.

Will you be a full or part-time student?

You will not get a job until you are in your 40’s. Have you considered the financial ramifications of this?

How good was the school that you attended? How well did you do?

Do you know calculus? Have you taken any physics? What other technical courses have you taken?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gwnorth, russ_watters, symbolipoint and 1 other person
I highly recommend Harvey Mudd College, this school provides excellent undergraduate education for STEM majors.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: what_is_going_on
Except that Harvey Mudd doesn't admit students who already have a bachelor's degree.

To a very high degree, there is no financial aid available for 3rd bachelor's degrees. So you need to find somewhere that a) will accept you, and b) that you can afford. You also need enough cash on hand to not just cover the college expenses, but to compensate for the fact that you won't be earning money when sitting in a classroom. Is this the empty set?
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd, gwnorth, russ_watters and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Except that Harvey Mudd doesn't admit students who already have a bachelor's degree.

To a very high degree, there is no financial aid available for 3rd bachelor's degrees. So you need to find somewhere that a) will accept you, and b) that you can afford. You also need enough cash on hand to not just cover the college expenses, but to compensate for the fact that you won't be earning money when sitting in a classroom. Is this the empty set?
That's a good fact to know. I didn't know that HMC doesn't admit students who already have a Bachelor's degree.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: what_is_going_on
A lot of places don't.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: MatinSAR, symbolipoint and Math100
Vanadium 50 said:
A lot of places don't.
Yeah, instead of trying to obtain another Bachelor's degree in either mathematics or physics, I think the OP should earn either a Master's degree in criminology or psychology, since the OP already has Bachelor's degrees in those two majors. In addition, the Bachelor's degrees that the OP already earned are all humanity majors, none of them are related to either mathematics or physics.
 
  • Sad
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbergman and symbolipoint
How is an advanced degree in the same field going to help the OP change careers?

I see from your profile that you are not in school but have gone as far as high school. Is this still correct?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: what_is_going_on
The best advice I have to offer for a question like this is that you should consider first taking a couple night school courses in physics. The quantitative problem-based learning in physics courses can be a lot different than the majority of coursework you would have done in your other degrees, and you might want to test the waters before committing yourself to four+ years of it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd, gwnorth, russ_watters and 8 others
Vanadium 50 said:
How is an advanced degree in the same field going to help the OP change careers?

I see from your profile that you are not in school but have gone as far as high school. Is this still correct?
Can certainly bring advancement in OP's career, at least. Earning the third Bachelor's degree might be a challenge since many schools won't allow it, just as you mentioned earlier. After I graduated from high school, I started working and I self-study mathematics, as of now.
 
Idk if this helps, but im 28, and I'm doing a distance learning course. It's accredited in my country so it's reliable too. I know of people who've gone to prestigious universities for their masters and PhD after doing this course, so the rigour is there despite it being self taught/distance learning

Maybe look for a distance learning course because it'll mostly likely work out more affordable?

Best wishes, good luck etcetera!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: what_is_going_on
Math100 said:
I highly recommend Harvey Mudd College, this school provides excellent undergraduate education for STEM majors.
thank you!
 
Choppy said:
The best advice I have to offer for a question like this is that you should consider first taking a couple night school courses in physics. The quantitative problem-based learning in physics courses can be a lot different than the majority of coursework you would have done in your other degrees, and you might want to test the waters before committing yourself to four+ years of it.
thank you, I do like this advice
 
Math100 said:
Can certainly bring advancement in OP's career, at least. Earning the third Bachelor's degree might be a challenge since many schools won't allow it, just as you mentioned earlier. After I graduated from high school, I started working and I self-study mathematics, as of now.
That bolded part, referring to his current field earned the bachelor degree, still is a problem for OP. He does not want that field of study. For whatever reason it is not properly suited for him and feels a strong need to change.