Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results. I have to write a conclusion and I find it difficult to explain. Even now it may seem unclear as to what I am referring to so I will provide an example. This is directly from my conclusion.

'The 72 rated golf ball had a higher power transfer ratio of 1.482 (±0.197) and that of the 98 rated ball had a ratio of 1.343 (±0.287).'

The two results 'overlap'. How do I refer to this? These are two different results for two difference independent variables.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Re: Uncertainty

It depends on the initial hypothesis you are trying to test.

Assuming you are testing the effect of ball type on power transfer ratio, the proper conclusion in this instance is that it is inconclusive whether the type of golf ball affects the power transfer ratio. A conclusive result would require the uncertainties to not overlap.

I would avoid saying whether one ball has a higher power transfer ratio over the other for this reason. The truth is, you cannot definitively say which is higher.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook