I bet 95% of you will miss this

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: That seems very surprising MIH! Where did you get these stats from? (or are you just cracking a joke :smile:). I can see the idea behind it being true, but it needs a better setup to work (on me at least).Is this the one with the suit of ape in it?Oops. wrong color MIH. Who knows the new color for invisible text?It's E3E3E3 according to photoshop.I hope I am just keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding!I got it right!I assumed there was a trick and didn't even try to follow
gravenewworld

and if you have seen this before SHHHHHHHHHHHhhh! Posters, don't spoil it in a response please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:

and if you have seen this before SHHHHHHHHHHHhhh!

Posters, don't spoil it in a response please.

Well I followed the directions. That's all I can say.

Nice! I missed it :cry:

I watched it few months ago so I knew about it
but still missed it ><

I didn't miss it, but then that may be because I didn't have the attention span to follow the directions for more than about 10 seconds.

I study cognitive psychology so I've seen this done many different ways in experiments on inattentional blindness. The most interesting one, I have seen is this:

If you look very carefully, you'll see that there is a brunette in the video, but about 87% of men don't see her the first time they watch the video.

Are you serious MIH? :confused:

Oops. wrong color MIH. Who knows the new color for invisible text?

That seems very surprising MIH! Where did you get these stats from? (or are you just cracking a joke :smile:). I can see the idea behind it being true, but it needs a better setup to work (on me at least).

Is this the one with the suit of ape in it?

Evo said:
Oops. wrong color MIH. Who knows the new color for invisible text?

It's E3E3E3 according to photoshop

I hope

I am just keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding!

I got it right!

I assumed there was a trick and didn't even try to follow the instructions so I definitely saw it.

MIH said:
I study cognitive psychology so I've seen this done many different ways in experiments on inattentional blindness. The most interesting one, I have seen is this:

Sorry MIH but not all men prefer blondes ;-p , or even large hood ornaments for that matter. Unfortunately that brunette looks to be about 15. :-/

Holy ****, that's hilarious.

Note* The counting part that is :frown:

Yeah, brunette's are my fav.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I
Sorry MIH but not all men prefer blondes ;-p , or even large hood ornaments for that matter. Unfortunately that brunette looks to be about 15. :-/

same here---

-10 points for being blonde
-15 points for (too) large breasts
-10 addition points for being a bleached blonde
-20 more points for breast augmentation

exceptions do apply however

I didn't think her breasts were fake, but I will agree that her hair (the "blonde") looks horrible.

The OP is really old in some sense: isn't this a really old concept (the basketballs and gorilla)?

edit... looks like a Harvard professor performed this experiment in 1999: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~cfc/Simons1999.pdf#search=%22Simons%20and%20Chabris%20on%20sustained%20inattentional%20blindness%22 [Broken]

edit2... wasn't the "original" video posted here a couple years ago? I could have sworn I seen it somewhere.

B. Elliott said:
A timeless concept!

*edit* Nevermind. I thought your mention of gorillas was a reference to pre-cro magnan and the basketballs to... watermelons. (IYKWIM):biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:

Uhh the one on the left is disgusting.

This experiment has been done over and over and over and over..
sometimes it's a person in a gorilla suit. sometimes it's a person with an umbrella. The "count the basketball passes" experimental paradigm is pretty standard.

Would be kind of interesting to try it with a sexy girl/guy walking through the scene and see if it makes any difference.

Here is a video on the attention system and things we miss:

and I could care less about brunettes or blondes. It was a joke.

Math Is Hard said:
sometimes it's a person in a gorilla suit. sometimes it's a person with an umbrella. The "count the basketball passes" experimental paradigm is pretty standard.

Would be kind of interesting to try it with a sexy girl/guy walking through the scene and see if it makes any difference.
Or maybe have all males that one by one drop off screen and are replaced by similarly dressed females.

MIH said:

That is just cool. You'd almost think it was a comedy skit.
And I especially like the Adams quote at the beginning.

MIH said:
I know. :-p

Have you seen amazing colour changing card trick?

Talking about blonde: I had a lot of fun observing myself concentrating on the blonde - even if I prefer brunette :smile:

i saw a video similar to this a few months ago, yet i missed the bear again!

mattmns said:
I didn't think her breasts were fake, but I will agree that her hair (the "blonde") looks horrible.

The OP is really old in some sense: isn't this a really old concept (the basketballs and gorilla)?

I didn't think they were fake either--those were just bonus (minus) points when they do present.

Women may notice the gorilla more often, as it's a sport (but they are men, too, so...maybe not).

If you weren't told you 'count' (and we're all sheep, in some circumstances) , I bet there wouldn't be a higher % who see it.---It's like a magician's trick--distraction.

The point is, that so far, no one in this thread who has never done an experiment like this before or who has never seen the video before has been able to count the number of passes AND identify the surprise at the same time. The only people in this thread who noticed the surprise only got it because they weren't paying attention to the number of passes. This raises the interesting point--how many of the details are you really missing when you are supposedly concentrating on something?

In the card color trick you are not asked to follow anything - still you can miss a lot.

From the The caption competition thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=79028&page=149 [Broken]

http://www.jokechallenge.com/funny_pictures/women_fix_cars.jpg [Broken]

How many saw the car in the photo?

Looks like a BMW 5 series with an E28 body style in production from 1982 - 1988. If I had to guess I'd say it was a 528.

Kurdt said:
Looks like a BMW 5 series with an E28 body style in production from 1982 - 1988. If I had to guess I'd say it was a 528.

Did anybody even ask about the car?

She does have nice legs, though.

Math Is Hard said:

Looking at the report mattmns linked to, it looks like a person would see a woman with an umbrella easier than a gorilla. And it's easier to see the gorilla if you're counting passes of the black team. That seems counter-intuitive. You'd think the more bizarre the interruption, the more noticeable it would be. Instead, the easier it is to discard the interruption as irrelevant to your task, the less noticeable the interruption is. It looks like it works as an attention filter.

So why do drivers have such a hard time seeing motorcycles and bicycles? Because they've mentally conditioned themselves to look for cars. Motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians are filtered out of drivers' attention.

BobG said:
Looking at the report mattmns linked to, it looks like a person would see a woman with an umbrella easier than a gorilla. And it's easier to see the gorilla if you're counting passes of the black team. That seems counter-intuitive. You'd think the more bizarre the interruption, the more noticeable it would be. Instead, the easier it is to discard the interruption as irrelevant to your task, the less noticeable the interruption is. It looks like it works as an attention filter.

So why do drivers have such a hard time seeing motorcycles and bicycles? Because they've mentally conditioned themselves to look for cars. Motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians are filtered out of drivers' attention.

Using that same logic, I think that's why I usually don't see too many intelligent women.

(actually, I think its because all the good ones aren't available for too long, or they're intelligent enough to stay out of the bar scene.:wink:)

B. Elliott said:
Nevermind.

This always makes me laugh, did Nirvana's second album really have so much influence as to get most people to spell never mind like this?

rewebster said:
too large breasts
You know just stringing words together doesn't automatically mean they make sense.

Look:
gigantic dwarf
the sound of blue
too much chocolate

<h2>1. What is "I bet 95% of you will miss this" referring to?</h2><p>"I bet 95% of you will miss this" is a phrase commonly used in puzzles or brain teasers to challenge people to find a hidden or difficult-to-spot element. It implies that only a small percentage of people will be able to solve the puzzle or find the hidden object.</p><h2>2. Why is it called "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?</h2><p>The phrase is called "I bet 95% of you will miss this" because it is a statement of confidence that the majority of people will not be able to solve the puzzle or find the hidden element. It also adds an element of competition and challenge to the puzzle.</p><h2>3. Is there any significance to the number 95% in "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?</h2><p>The number 95% is often used in this phrase as a way to exaggerate the difficulty of the puzzle or challenge. It implies that the task is so difficult that only a small percentage of people will be able to solve it.</p><h2>4. How can I improve my chances of not missing "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?</h2><p>To improve your chances of not missing "I bet 95% of you will miss this", you can practice solving puzzles and brain teasers, and train your mind to think creatively and critically. You can also pay close attention to details and think outside the box when approaching challenges.</p><h2>5. Is "I bet 95% of you will miss this" just a clickbait phrase?</h2><p>While "I bet 95% of you will miss this" may be used as clickbait in some cases, it is also used genuinely in puzzles and challenges to add an element of competition and difficulty. The phrase itself may be overused, but the concept behind it is still valid in challenging people's problem-solving skills.</p>

1. What is "I bet 95% of you will miss this" referring to?

"I bet 95% of you will miss this" is a phrase commonly used in puzzles or brain teasers to challenge people to find a hidden or difficult-to-spot element. It implies that only a small percentage of people will be able to solve the puzzle or find the hidden object.

2. Why is it called "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?

The phrase is called "I bet 95% of you will miss this" because it is a statement of confidence that the majority of people will not be able to solve the puzzle or find the hidden element. It also adds an element of competition and challenge to the puzzle.

3. Is there any significance to the number 95% in "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?

The number 95% is often used in this phrase as a way to exaggerate the difficulty of the puzzle or challenge. It implies that the task is so difficult that only a small percentage of people will be able to solve it.

4. How can I improve my chances of not missing "I bet 95% of you will miss this"?

To improve your chances of not missing "I bet 95% of you will miss this", you can practice solving puzzles and brain teasers, and train your mind to think creatively and critically. You can also pay close attention to details and think outside the box when approaching challenges.

5. Is "I bet 95% of you will miss this" just a clickbait phrase?

While "I bet 95% of you will miss this" may be used as clickbait in some cases, it is also used genuinely in puzzles and challenges to add an element of competition and difficulty. The phrase itself may be overused, but the concept behind it is still valid in challenging people's problem-solving skills.