I calculating the number of Electrons? (Current/Electron Density/Velocity)

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmb2009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
bmb2009
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




How many protons are in the beam traveling at the speed of light in the Tevatron at Fermilab, which is carrying 11.17 mA of current around the 6.3-km circumference of the main Tevatron ring?

Homework Equations



Not sure...



The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know how to calculate the the protons (electrons). I tried multiple different things but al the equations I have use the Cross Sectional area value (A) which can't be found from the given information.

I tried manipulating such equations as

current density = (number of electrons)(e)(drift velocity)

and other similar equations but the all contain some form of the value of A?

Please help :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org


voko said:
What is current?

and how do you find J {current density} from I {current} and a circumference?
 


Liquidxlax said:
and how do you find J {current density} from I {current} and a circumference?

What is the significance of current density here?