1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can do most of the problem in Goldsten/Poole

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    I am studying classical mechanics by myself (math major). Should I go back to books like Halliday/Resnick also? Or if I can do most of the problems in Goldstein, then is this not required? I have never taken a physics course in university (just wanted to study classical mechanics).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    It depends on what your aim is. Goldstein says, flat out, if you don't have the conceptual understanding you won't get it from that book. At that point it is assumed you have had Classical Mechanics as a freshman, senior/junior, and now as a graduate student. So, if you want to know how to DO mechanics then keep chugging away... If you're after a deeper understanding of the underlying meaning then hit the undergrad texts, then Goldstein. I would recommend Taylor, he does a good job. Have fun!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?