Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't believe it's a yogurt store

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have a new frozen yogurt shop that just opened in the village next to my campus. Everyone has been very excited about the grand opening - low fat, cool, delicious sweet treats! Yay!! So we took a trek over there this week to check it out.

Well, they had quite a selection of toppings- fruits, syrups, and everything you would expect - but only two flavors of frozen yogurt. So, I know you're thinking, "that's not so bad, MIH, what are you going on about?"

Well, here's the deal.... what do you suppose the flavors were.. chocolate and vanilla? Rasberry swirl and chocolate chip?

NO!!!! The only two flavors on the menu were.. are you ready..? ...

PLAIN AND TOMATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

And, by plain, I don't mean plain vanilla, mind you. I mean plain yogurt. As in "tastes like sour cream".
    And I've got nothing against tomatoes. Heck, I love 'em on a salad. But the last thing I think of is pureeing them up with some plain yogurt and dumping them in a cone with some chocolate syrup and whipped cream on top.

Has the world gone MAD??!!??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You've got to be kidding!! That's disgusting!

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And they are SO PROUD of their yogurt! They have big beaming smiles and beg you to try a sample. What a disappointment!

5. Sep 15, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you look around for the hidden camera?

It must have been a set up.

6. Sep 15, 2007 #5
    Tomato frozen yogurt... hmmm, no thanks!!

7. Sep 15, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm.. well, it is in Los Angeles. Could have been for a TV show. We'll see how long it lasts.

I read a review on the place. Someone said that eating the frozen tomato yogurt was "like licking frozen V8 juice". mmmmmmmmmmmm

8. Sep 15, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eewwwwww!!!! What were they thinking? I hope they go out of business quickly...they deserve nothing less. :yuck:

9. Sep 15, 2007 #8
    Gees guys it sounds like it would go great with a piece of green tomato pie.:tongue2:

10. Sep 15, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On top of everything else, they opened the shop right around the corner from a nice little gelato place. Of course the gelato is more fattening, but it's delicious and they have about 25 flavors to choose from.

11. Sep 15, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm holding out for the chicken ripple. :biggrin:

12. Sep 15, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every gelato place I've been to serves really small portions, so you don't feel too bad about choosing the fattening option. I'd rather have a small cup of gelato than a large cone of tomato frozen yoghurt. They better discover chocolate or vanilla really quickly!

13. Sep 15, 2007 #12
    That is absolutely disgusting.

14. Sep 15, 2007 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Some things just aren't meant to be. I love fish, but I can't imagine fish ice cream. Frozen halibut with sprinkles? Tuna with butterfinger bits?

For some unknown reason this keeps popping up a joke my brother told me a hundred years ago about chicken fried snake and fish ice cream. I don't even remember why it was funny.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  15. Sep 16, 2007 #14
    Is this place called "Yogurt Land"?

16. Sep 16, 2007 #15
    That kind of makes me feel queezy.

17. Sep 16, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

That gives me an idea...just mix our blistering-hot pepper relish with yogurt, whip, flash freeze and voila! - a treat that is hot and cold at the same time. Instead of chocolate jimmies, sprinkle with some crushed red pepper, garnish with cilantro, and serve with taco chips. Optional toppings include avocado, lime, and fried banana slices. I'll make some with jalapeno relish instead of habanero relish for the wimps.

Hmmm, I'll have to see if Frito-Lay will tool up to make me some corn-chip-style cones to serve the stuff in.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  18. Sep 16, 2007 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's called Polar Monkey. Have you heard of it?

I was told that they are copying a place called Pinkberry, which is very popular out here. It looks like Pinkberry also only has two yogurt flavors: plain and green tea. That doesn't sound quite as bad as plain and tomato.

This is a sure sign I am getting old when I am griping about how I can't understand something that's popular with the kids these days.:frown:

19. Sep 16, 2007 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're on to something there. Froyo a la turbo!

20. Sep 16, 2007 #19
    When I was in Cali over the summer we went to Pinkberry a few times at the outdoor mall in Rancho Cucamonga. It seemed extremely popular (the first time I went it was ridiculously packed), the girls I was with loved it, and I thought it was pretty good as well. It would be nice if they had more flavors to choose from, but they had a nice selection of toppings.

21. Sep 16, 2007 #20
    I love plain yogurt. It's my favorite flavor. Sometimes when I rent a movie I sit down with a big tub of it and a bunch of fruit, bananas, apples, grapes, strawberries, whatever I have available. By the end of the movie all the fruit is gone and half the tub as well. I try to find something that isn't low fat, but that's hard to do these days.

Tomato yogurt sounds like a real adventure to me. I never thought to try tomatoes with my yogurt before. They don't exactly break apart into nice bite-size pieces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?