1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't believe the hint that is provided; can someone explain how it is true?

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    I'm working on a question for a problem set that has the following hint:

For any function A:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}A}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

I don't understand how this is true; this is how I try to show that both sides are equal but it doesn't work out...any help would be appreciated.

[itex]\frac{d^{2}A}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{dA}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex](\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}) \frac{dA}{dr} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2} \frac{dA}{dr})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{d}{dr}(r^{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} + \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{2}{r} = \frac{d}{dr} - \frac{d}{dr}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{2}{r} = 0[/itex]

This is only true if r [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex]. I think I must be doing something wrong - can anyone please explain what I'm doing wrong and show me how the hint is a true statement? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    You're treating everything as if it's multiplication, that's not legal.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The step above makes no sense. d/dr(r2) does NOT mean d/dr * r2, so you can't divide by r2 to end up with d/dr.

There are steps above that that also don't make sense, for essentially the same reason.
    The assumption here is that A = A(r); i.e., A is a function of r. Also, it is assumed that A is twice differentiable.

Start on the right side and calculate (1/r2) * d/dr(r2 *dA/dr).

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    Oh man, I can't believe I missed that - thanks so much it makes perfect sense now! It slipped my mind that the [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] would act on the [itex]r^{2}[/itex] and that I would have to use the chain rule. Thanks a lot!

I see my mistake, thank you. I knew I was doing something fishy but I wasn't certain what it was. Thank you again for the prompt replies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook