I can't believe it's a yogurt store

Hey, now might be a good time to do that. I heard that Discovery Channel is producing a new television show about east coast lobster fishing. It should be along the lines of 'World's Deadliest Catch'. If that pans out then there could be some public interest in lobster products in your area. Tourists love that crap.

turbo
Gold Member
Our "signature" crops include blueberries and maple syrup. Hmm, lobster ice cream topped with blueberry jam and maple syrup. The DownEast sundae is born!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Our "signature" crops include blueberries and maple syrup. Hmm, lobster ice cream topped with blueberry jam and maple syrup. The DownEast sundae is born!
Hmm...I think I'd rather have blueberry ice cream with maple syrup and just serve the lobster on the side. :biggrin:

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
We have a new frozen yogurt shop that just opened in the village next to my campus. Everyone has been very excited about the grand opening - low fat, cool, delicious sweet treats! Yay!! So we took a trek over there this week to check it out.

Well, they had quite a selection of toppings- fruits, syrups, and everything you would expect - but only two flavors of frozen yogurt. So, I know you're thinking, "that's not so bad, MIH, what are you going on about?"

Well, here's the deal.... what do you suppose the flavors were.. chocolate and vanilla? Rasberry swirl and chocolate chip?

NO!!!! The only two flavors on the menu were.. are you ready..? ...

PLAIN AND TOMATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

And, by plain, I don't mean plain vanilla, mind you. I mean plain yogurt. As in "tastes like sour cream".
And I've got nothing against tomatoes. Heck, I love 'em on a salad. But the last thing I think of is pureeing them up with some plain yogurt and dumping them in a cone with some chocolate syrup and whipped cream on top.

Has the world gone MAD??!!??
This place makes a profit???????

turbo
Gold Member
Hmm...I think I'd rather have blueberry ice cream with maple syrup and just serve the lobster on the side. :biggrin:
Well, I already hickory-smoke brined salmon fillets covered with maple syrup to form a sweet glaze, and that is a REALLY popular concoction. I've never had a single person try it who didn't want more. I see no way to work blueberry ice cream into the seafood/syrup mix, though.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Amazingly, I've recently become a plain frozen yogurt convert. The stuff's pretty good with tart fruits cut up into it. I still say no to tomato froyo! :yuck:

The trend is out of control here. We now have five of these two-flavor yogurt shops in the village: http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/2007/sep/23/Fro_yo_face_off/

In the time it took Lee and his partners to secure a lease and open a store, three new dessert vendors – all offering the same brand of tart frozen yogurt smothered in fresh fruit – popped up in Westwood Village, bringing the total to a whopping five stores.

Pinkberry, Snowberry, Berry Best, Red Mango, and now, Polar Monkey.

The stores present a Korean-American spin on an old dessert favorite – frozen yogurt tarter, icier and lighter than ever before.

The phenomenon’s rapid spread in Westwood is part of a viral expansion throughout Los Angeles and other major cities across the nation. Pinkberry – the industry leader – has grown to include more than 30 locations just two years after opening its first store in West Hollywood.

As the competition to win over fro-yo enthusiasts intensifies across the Southland, the Village and its stable of hungry college students has become a primary battleground.

“Compared to Pinkberry, we’re a small company,” said Jimmy Han, manager at the Snowberry in Westwood. “But we’re trying to go step by step – bigger, bigger, bigger.”
The one I like is a shop called Red Mango, because it's real frozen yogurt and not a mix.
I've been hearing much rumbling about arguments over who had the original idea and lawsuits aimed at the vendors who aren't offering genuine yogurt.
http://www.koreamjournal.com/Magazine/var/news/storage/images-versioned/128854/1-eng-US/asdsad1_kjarticlemain.jpg
One thing is for sure, we are approaching a full blown yogurt war in Bruintown and this town ain't big enough for five different tart two-flavor yogurt vendors. Someone's going to get hurt.

turbo
Gold Member
Let'em fight it out, then jump in with a chili jelly!

I should really try it. I still got a buy one get one free coupon they passed out a couple of days ago.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are these stores targetting people who might think that if it's tarter, it might be healthier than sweet frozen yogurt?

I can understand just offering two flavors, afterall, I grew up with frozen custard stands that offered just vanilla and chocolate. Once in a while, you'd find one that also offered strawberry, and it was a really big deal when they started offering "swirl" of two flavors. It probably cuts back on waste for a small start-up business to just focus on a couple flavors. Though, I still cannot understand why anyone would choose tomato as one of them. I'm thinking of a variety of other "exotic" flavors that might translate well from ice cream to yogurt, and tomato still isn't in the list. For example, yogurt might be a good alternative for things like red bean and green tea ice cream. Or maybe a tart fruit flavor, like green apple.

J77
"Plain yoghurt" is the best kind there is -- who needs all the additives.