I don't really understand the concept of organic oxidations.

In summary, Borek has led you on the right track. Nevertheless I think your intuition is fine: The concept of oxidation states is much less usefull in organic chemistry and kind of formalistic.
LogicX
So let's say a hydrogen is replaced with an oxygen. Apparently this is an oxidation. But I just don't see any transfer of electrons going on. All the atoms still have the same number of valence electrons. Can someone give me an example of a simple organic oxidation and explain the electron transfer that is changing the oxidation states of the atoms? I can understand inorganic oxidations like Cr 3+ going to Cr 6+, I just can't wrap my mind around organic redox.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you change the groups around a carbon with more electronegative ones, that is considered oxidation in the organic sense.

Consider the following ranking from lowest oxidation state to largest:

CH4<CH3O<CH2O2<CO2

CH3S<CH3O

CH2O2(geminal diol)<CH2O2(formic acid) The geminal diol has two C-O bonds and the acid has 3.

CH3Cl<CH3F

chemisttree said:
CH4<CH3O<CH2O2<CO2

LogicX: try to assign oxidation numbers to central carbon atoms.

Borek has led you on the right track. Nevertheless I think your intuition is fine: The concept of oxidation states is much less usefull in organic chemistry and kind of formalistic.

For electron transfer in simple organic oxidation , look at the oxidation of glucose:
6O2 + C6H12O6 ----> 6CO2 + 6H2O

Yep! Total brain fart!

chemisttree said:
CH2(OH)2(geminal diol)<CH2O2(formic acid) The geminal diol has two C-O bonds and the acid has 3.

Last edited:
You better edit this formic acid :tongue2:

Geez! One of those days.

Consider the following ranking from lowest oxidation state to largest:

CH4<CH3OH<CH2O2<CO2

CH3SH<CH3OH

CH2(OH)2(geminal diol)<CH2O2(formic acid) The geminal diol has two C-O bonds and the acid has 3.

CH3Cl<CH3F

In organic chemistry one definition of oxidation - reduction is the removel or addition
of hydrogen. For example the oxidation of an alcohol to a ketone.

C3H7OH + O ---> C3H6O + H2O
2 propanol ----- > propanone

1. What are organic oxidations?

Organic oxidations are chemical reactions in which an organic compound loses electrons, resulting in the oxidation of one or more atoms within the compound. This process typically involves the transfer of oxygen atoms or other electronegative atoms to the organic molecule, resulting in the formation of new chemical bonds.

2. How do organic oxidations differ from inorganic oxidations?

Organic oxidations involve reactions with carbon-containing compounds, while inorganic oxidations involve reactions with non-carbon-containing compounds. Additionally, organic oxidations tend to be more complex and occur at a slower rate compared to inorganic oxidations.

3. What are some examples of organic oxidations?

Some examples of organic oxidations include the conversion of alcohols to aldehydes or ketones, the conversion of alkenes to epoxides, and the oxidation of primary alcohols to carboxylic acids. These reactions are commonly used in organic synthesis and industrial processes.

4. What is the role of oxidizing agents in organic oxidations?

Oxidizing agents are substances that facilitate the transfer of electrons from one molecule to another during an oxidation reaction. In organic oxidations, common oxidizing agents include oxygen gas, hydrogen peroxide, and various metal ions such as chromium and manganese.

5. What are the applications of organic oxidations?

Organic oxidations have a wide range of applications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and materials science. They are also used in the production of everyday products such as plastics, fuels, and cosmetics. Additionally, organic oxidations play a crucial role in biological processes, such as cellular respiration and metabolism.