I have an undergrad in Geomatics and I want to pursue physics

In summary, the Nepalese undergraduate program in geomatics is not good enough, and the graduate program in physics is too stressful for someone with depression.
Samk
I am from Nepal and I have an undergrad in geomatics which I took because partly because my parents forced me to partly because I qualified for a scholarship that let me complete my undergrad in less than $2600.The undergrad program in Nepal is not good enough and my university doesn't allow changing majors so I stayed in geomatics.

Now that I have completed this undergrad I am thinking about whether to enroll in undergrad physics or do a master's in applied math and then apply for the grad in physics.I don't have a shining GPA and actually struggled with cal 2 and cal 3 at the beginning and I have chronic depression. I want your honest opinion on what should I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Samk said:
struggled with cal 2 and cal 3 at the beginning and I have chronic depression.
Grad school can be really stressful even for people that do not struggle with mental illness. If you struggle with the underlying mathematics, it is certainly not going to make things easier. First of all you would have to find a graduate school that accepts you and that in itself may be an issue depending on your grades. We cannot advice you regarding your mental state (only a certified psychiatrist can do that and only after meeting you and evaluating you properly), only say that grad school can be very very stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Samk
Orodruin said:
Grad school can be really stressful even for people that do not struggle with mental illness. If you struggle with the underlying mathematics, it is certainly not going to make things easier. First of all you would have to find a graduate school that accepts you and that in itself may be an issue depending on your grades. We cannot advice you regarding your mental state (only a certified psychiatrist can do that and only after meeting you and evaluating you properly), only say that grad school can be very very stressful.
Thanks for your suggestion

Likes berkeman
Depression runs deep through my family genetics and my brother is a (now retired) psychiatrist. Please be aware that treatment of depression is one of the true success stories in psychiatry. Drugs do not always work, but when the correct one is found the results can be miraculous So seek competent medical intervention and try to find what works for you. Then worry about this other stuff

Likes Samk, berkeman and Orodruin
hutchphd said:
Depression runs deep through my family genetics and my brother is a (now retired) psychiatrist. Please be aware that treatment of depression is one of the true success stories in psychiatry. Drugs do not always work, but when the correct one is found the results can be miraculous So seek competent medical intervention and try to find what works for you. Then worry about this other stuff
thank you, the meds I have been taking for 2.5 years did make life somewhat easier but did not completely eliminate the problem.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is Geomatics?

Geomatics is a scientific field that combines surveying, mapping, and remote sensing to gather and analyze geographic data. It involves using advanced technologies such as GPS, GIS, and remote sensing to measure, map, and analyze the Earth's surface and its features.

2. How does Geomatics relate to physics?

Geomatics and physics are closely related as they both involve the study of the physical world. Geomatics uses principles of physics to measure and analyze data, while physics helps to explain the underlying physical processes that govern the Earth's surface and its features.

3. Can I pursue physics with an undergrad in Geomatics?

Yes, you can definitely pursue physics with an undergrad in Geomatics. Geomatics provides a strong foundation in mathematics, data analysis, and scientific principles, which are essential for studying physics. You may need to take some additional courses to meet the prerequisites for a physics graduate program, but your Geomatics degree will be a valuable asset.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a background in Geomatics and physics?

Having a background in Geomatics and physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. You can work in fields such as geophysics, environmental science, remote sensing, data analysis, and more. You can also pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

5. How can I combine Geomatics and physics in my career?

There are many ways to combine Geomatics and physics in your career. You can work in research and development, using your knowledge of Geomatics and physics to develop new technologies and methods for data collection and analysis. You can also work in industries that require both Geomatics and physics, such as renewable energy, climate change research, and natural resource management.