I have an undergrad in Geomatics and I want to pursue physics

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Samk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Undergrad
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Samk
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
I am from Nepal and I have an undergrad in geomatics which I took because partly because my parents forced me to partly because I qualified for a scholarship that let me complete my undergrad in less than $2600.The undergrad program in Nepal is not good enough and my university doesn't allow changing majors so I stayed in geomatics.

Now that I have completed this undergrad I am thinking about whether to enroll in undergrad physics or do a master's in applied math and then apply for the grad in physics.I don't have a shining GPA and actually struggled with cal 2 and cal 3 at the beginning and I have chronic depression. I want your honest opinion on what should I do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Samk said:
struggled with cal 2 and cal 3 at the beginning and I have chronic depression.
Grad school can be really stressful even for people that do not struggle with mental illness. If you struggle with the underlying mathematics, it is certainly not going to make things easier. First of all you would have to find a graduate school that accepts you and that in itself may be an issue depending on your grades. We cannot advice you regarding your mental state (only a certified psychiatrist can do that and only after meeting you and evaluating you properly), only say that grad school can be very very stressful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Orodruin said:
Grad school can be really stressful even for people that do not struggle with mental illness. If you struggle with the underlying mathematics, it is certainly not going to make things easier. First of all you would have to find a graduate school that accepts you and that in itself may be an issue depending on your grades. We cannot advice you regarding your mental state (only a certified psychiatrist can do that and only after meeting you and evaluating you properly), only say that grad school can be very very stressful.
Thanks for your suggestion
 
Depression runs deep through my family genetics and my brother is a (now retired) psychiatrist. Please be aware that treatment of depression is one of the true success stories in psychiatry. Drugs do not always work, but when the correct one is found the results can be miraculous So seek competent medical intervention and try to find what works for you. Then worry about this other stuff
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Samk, berkeman and Orodruin
hutchphd said:
Depression runs deep through my family genetics and my brother is a (now retired) psychiatrist. Please be aware that treatment of depression is one of the true success stories in psychiatry. Drugs do not always work, but when the correct one is found the results can be miraculous So seek competent medical intervention and try to find what works for you. Then worry about this other stuff
thank you, the meds I have been taking for 2.5 years did make life somewhat easier but did not completely eliminate the problem.