1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just cannot decide what book to work through next

1. Real and Complex Analysis

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Algebra

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Differential Geometry

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Real and Complex Analysis - Rudin
    Algebra - Hungerford
    or
    Differential Gometry of Curves and Surfaces - Do Carmo

Since I've spent all day without being able to decide I am asking pf to pick for me. Please tell me which to read.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm saying Complex Analysis because it leads to so many great areas, so do the others but I think this subject is the most interesting of the 3.

Keep in mind that I don't know much about Differential Geometry if anything.

So, how do you read it? Just read it like a book? Or do you ponder and solve problems?

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    Read, take notes and memorize deifinitions, try to understand proofs of theorems, and work out some (but rarely if ever all) of the problems.

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I strongly recommend solving problems.

Not all of them though. You'd end wasting all your time. I usually try to solve half of them, but no more than 10 (and no less than 5). I usually do the first three, read the others and choose which I think would benefit me the most.

I never take notes or memorize anything really. If I understand it, that's good enough for me.

I do assign some review sections though. Sections that I feel weren't as smoothly read. Sure I'd probably understand everything I read, but I want it to be something that would come naturally because that avoids memorizing it.

Basically, if you were in my class and saw me writing everything down, there is a good chance that I don't understand it. If I'm not writing notes, than I understand it. I hate writing notes. I prefer to contemplate and ponder about the subject at hand.

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5
    As do I, and I never take notes in class, but I find that when do self study if I do not take notes it becomes easy to lose focus as soon as I run across something I do not immediatley understand.

7. Mar 26, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do whatever works. :approve:

8. Mar 26, 2006 #7
    Go play outside. <the sunlight it burns!>

9. Mar 26, 2006 #8
    What in the sam heck is sunlight?

10. Mar 26, 2006 #9
    If I was in your position, I'd go with Differential Geometry. But that's just me. It's the one I find most interesting, I'd think...with Complex Analysis a close second. And it's also the only one I haven't really looked into that much yet. Follow your heart! It's like...a quest! To rescue the mathematical princess! And there's 3 of them...and you have to choose the most beautiful, and you get to marry her! Yay! Right...this is getting kinda...lack-of-sleep-ish.

11. Mar 26, 2006 #10
    kinda?

I recently looked back at some of the notes I took in college and I have such horrible handwriting I can't even be sure what class they were from let alone what they say although I could read them at the time

12. Mar 26, 2006 #11
    Study none of the above. You obviously need to study the essence of life: Quantum Field Theory.

-Dan

13. Mar 26, 2006 #12
    topsquark is wrong. The essence of life is actually macrobiology.

14. Mar 26, 2006 #13
    You're both wrong. I am the essence of life.

15. Mar 26, 2006 #14
    Then you must be a macrobiote. :tongue2:

16. Mar 26, 2006 #15
    Hey! Respect my differences!

17. Mar 28, 2006 #16
    Well, I'm working through Real and Complex Analysis.

Man it's hard.

18. Mar 28, 2006 #17
    I never herd of it too:confused: but it says on
    wikipedia.The sun must billons of light years it sounds like soppsed to be bright I think that has to be the only to explain why havn't seen it and why it's so bright

19. Mar 28, 2006 #18
    Do you like your name, Math is Hard 2?

20. Mar 28, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just keep at it you'll get it.

If you don't, try a looking into more specialized books that teach Real and Complex Analysis as separate entities.

21. Mar 29, 2006 #20
    Thanks for the support Jason. As it happens there are certainly many different books which I could learn about the topics from, but people reccomend Rudin as being fantastic. Nonetheless, I might wind up only working through the Real Analysis part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?