Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just cannot decide what book to work through next

1. Real and Complex Analysis

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Algebra

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Differential Geometry

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Real and Complex Analysis - Rudin
    Algebra - Hungerford
    or
    Differential Gometry of Curves and Surfaces - Do Carmo

Since I've spent all day without being able to decide I am asking pf to pick for me. Please tell me which to read.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm saying Complex Analysis because it leads to so many great areas, so do the others but I think this subject is the most interesting of the 3.

Keep in mind that I don't know much about Differential Geometry if anything.

So, how do you read it? Just read it like a book? Or do you ponder and solve problems?

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    Read, take notes and memorize deifinitions, try to understand proofs of theorems, and work out some (but rarely if ever all) of the problems.

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I strongly recommend solving problems.

Not all of them though. You'd end wasting all your time. I usually try to solve half of them, but no more than 10 (and no less than 5). I usually do the first three, read the others and choose which I think would benefit me the most.

I never take notes or memorize anything really. If I understand it, that's good enough for me.

I do assign some review sections though. Sections that I feel weren't as smoothly read. Sure I'd probably understand everything I read, but I want it to be something that would come naturally because that avoids memorizing it.

Basically, if you were in my class and saw me writing everything down, there is a good chance that I don't understand it. If I'm not writing notes, than I understand it. I hate writing notes. I prefer to contemplate and ponder about the subject at hand.

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5
    As do I, and I never take notes in class, but I find that when do self study if I do not take notes it becomes easy to lose focus as soon as I run across something I do not immediatley understand.

7. Mar 26, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do whatever works. :approve:

8. Mar 26, 2006 #7
    Go play outside. <the sunlight it burns!>

9. Mar 26, 2006 #8
    What in the sam heck is sunlight?

10. Mar 26, 2006 #9
    If I was in your position, I'd go with Differential Geometry. But that's just me. It's the one I find most interesting, I'd think...with Complex Analysis a close second. And it's also the only one I haven't really looked into that much yet. Follow your heart! It's like...a quest! To rescue the mathematical princess! And there's 3 of them...and you have to choose the most beautiful, and you get to marry her! Yay! Right...this is getting kinda...lack-of-sleep-ish.

11. Mar 26, 2006 #10
    kinda?

I recently looked back at some of the notes I took in college and I have such horrible handwriting I can't even be sure what class they were from let alone what they say although I could read them at the time

12. Mar 26, 2006 #11
    Study none of the above. You obviously need to study the essence of life: Quantum Field Theory.

-Dan

13. Mar 26, 2006 #12
    topsquark is wrong. The essence of life is actually macrobiology.

14. Mar 26, 2006 #13
    You're both wrong. I am the essence of life.

15. Mar 26, 2006 #14
    Then you must be a macrobiote. :tongue2:

16. Mar 26, 2006 #15
    Hey! Respect my differences!

17. Mar 28, 2006 #16
    Well, I'm working through Real and Complex Analysis.

Man it's hard.

18. Mar 28, 2006 #17
    I never herd of it too:confused: but it says on
    wikipedia.The sun must billons of light years it sounds like soppsed to be bright I think that has to be the only to explain why havn't seen it and why it's so bright

19. Mar 28, 2006 #18
    Do you like your name, Math is Hard 2?

20. Mar 28, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just keep at it you'll get it.

If you don't, try a looking into more specialized books that teach Real and Complex Analysis as separate entities.

21. Mar 29, 2006 #20
    Thanks for the support Jason. As it happens there are certainly many different books which I could learn about the topics from, but people reccomend Rudin as being fantastic. Nonetheless, I might wind up only working through the Real Analysis part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?