1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just created a vacuum in a cup when doing the dishes?

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    I want to know the mechanism behind this. I folded a paper cloth (may of been of the bounty kind), and put my wet cups on there mouth down. I heard a hissing, and I thought I may have left the stove on. I followed the noise to the cup, and noticed it was hissing like crazy. I tilted the cups mouth off of the cloth, and met quite a bit of resistance. When I got it off, it made the 'pop' noise of a vacuum being destroyed.

Any theories on how this happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

The hot cup had hot air in it. As the cup cooled the air inside cooled and dropped in volume. This is a common occurrence.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    Awesome. Go science!

Thanks.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Science rocks! Welcome to Physics Forums.

You can do a similar experiment with a milk or juice container. Put about 1/2" or so of cold tapwater in the container, cap it, and shake it. The shaking helps the water cool the inside air quickly. This will create a slight vacuum, and a rectangular milk carton will be noticeably deformed.

Next, dump the water and put in 1/2" or so of hot tapwater, cap, and shake. That will heat the air, creating higher pressure in the carton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook