I just have a few questions about PF....

• Thread starter doglover9754
  • Start date
I would like to be a staff member thenIn summary, PF is a forum that offers a Gold Membership for free under certain conditions, was first created by the PF team and is used by a diverse range of members from middle-school age to at least 60s. The mentors serve as moderators and the Feedback forum is where members can make suggestions to improve the forums. Becoming a staff member is possible through actively contributing in a positive way to the forum.
doglover9754
So, I just have a few questions about PF. Here they are:

1. How can I get Gold Membership for free?
2. When was PF first created and by who?
3. How many people use PF?
4. What is the age range of all the members using PF?
5. Why isn’t there a Suggestions forum (I’ve seen in other forums, a suggestions forum for all members to add suggestions to help either improve the forums, or to just give suggestions)?
6. How long does it take to become a staff/mentor?
7. Is there a forum moderator position here?

If anyone could answer all these questions, it would be gladly appreciated. No rush though.

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes ISamson
doglover9754 said:
5. Why isn’t there a Suggestions forum (I’ve seen in other forums, a suggestions forum for all members to add suggestions to help either improve the forums, or to just give suggestions)?
Thread moved from the General Discussion forum to the Feedback (questions) forum. :wink:

berkeman said:
Thread moved from the General Discussion forum to the Feedback (questions) forum. :wink:

Ah, but will she find this forum? :wink:

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Ah, but will she find this forum? :wink:
I found it :biggrin:

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
doglover9754 said:
4. What is the age range of all the members using PF?
It's impossible to say precisely because we don't require people to give their age, at least not in their profiles. I don't remember whether I had to give my age when I joined, it was so long ago. Based on observation, I can say that we have members ranging from middle-school age (12-13) up to at least 60s <<cough>>.

Likes doglover9754, ISamson and dkotschessaa
jtbell said:
up to at least 60s <<cough>>.

::squints at @jtbell ::

nah...

jtbell said:
middle-school age (12-13) up to at least 60s
This would make me the average PF user! :rolleyes:

A free gold membership defeats the purpose of a gold membership...

Likes ISamson
Orodruin said:
This would make me the average PF user! :rolleyes:
The distribution is not symmetric.

mfb said:
The distribution is not symmetric.
I'm a theorist. All distributions are Gaussian to first approximation. o0)

Edit: To be fair though - I think this particular distribution is kind of tail-heavy on both sides ...

Last edited:
Kurtosis 101 ...

doglover9754 said:
Why isn’t there a Suggestions forum (I’ve seen in other forums, a suggestions forum for all members to add suggestions to help either improve the forums, or to just give suggestions)?
It's here in feedback :)

berkeman moved it, before it was in General Discussion.
Orodruin said:
I'm a theorist. All distributions are Gaussian to first approximation. o0)
That's a privilege of experimentalists, I fear.

jtbell said:
up to at least 60s <<cough>>.
Yeah, let's go with that ...

Likes Borg and Bystander
DS2C said:
A free gold membership defeats the purpose of a gold membership...
Gold membership is sometimes given to members who meet certain conditions - that a member does something to promote the physicsforums site (at least), and it is of a limited time period. Quantity and QUALITY of postings made may also count.

Cool!

What is PF?

PF stands for "personal finance." It refers to managing and making decisions about one's own money and financial resources.

Why is PF important?

PF is important because it allows individuals to plan for their future financial stability. It also helps people make smarter decisions about their money, such as saving for retirement, paying off debt, and making investments.

What are some common PF strategies?

Some common PF strategies include creating a budget, saving for emergencies, paying off high-interest debt, investing in stocks or real estate, and planning for retirement.

How can I improve my PF skills?

Improving PF skills takes time and effort, but some tips include educating yourself on financial topics, setting realistic goals, seeking advice from a financial advisor, and tracking your spending and saving habits.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in PF?

Some common mistakes to avoid in PF include overspending, not having an emergency fund, failing to save for retirement, taking on too much debt, and not having a financial plan in place.