Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I might have stumbled on something. I don't know where to go.

  1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    I have found something cool involving indices. I don't know if it has been proven before, but I need help as the more information I gather the harder & longer it takes to calculate.

    I was thinking of going to a professor to help me.

    I would write it here, but what if someone takes it?

    I don't want to imply the "i'm great & i've made a huge discovert" because odds are someone has already realised it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2
    I would say try emailing a professor.
  4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    I would first go through PF before emailing a professor about it. You would get noted as the author and originator of whatever you've found. You would also get some help and if whatever you've found has been observed or realized, you will know from the people commenting.
  5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    Post it or be branded a crank forever.
  6. Oct 9, 2011 #5

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    Note that PF has rules against personal theories and overly speculative posts.

    If you are in high school, start with your teacher. If in college, start with one of your professors.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook