I need a new OChem book....anything other than Klein's?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with a copy of Klein's 3rd edition for organic chemistry and their search for a new organic chemistry book for practice and reference. The speaker also mentions some helpful online resources for studying organic chemistry. Other participants in the conversation suggest various options, including March's organic chemistry book, Corey's Logic of Organic Synthesis, and Nicolau's Classics in Total Synthesis.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Heyo. So my friend gave me their copy of Klein's 3rd edition a while ago for when I took ochem. It was loose-leaf and without a binder so they literally just shoved the loose pages in a tote bag lol. I guess that part is irrelevant but it was terrible.

Anyway, the text was pretty good but my profs always deviated from it, commenting that his example problems weren't complex enough (?) and that the material on synthesis could've been done better. I have since returned the book to said friend and now want to get a bound copy of an ochem book for casual practice and reference later on. Is there anything you can recommend? Or perhaps a supplement to Klein if I end up getting the same book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you a useful answer. Do you want sort of an encyclopedic guide to organic reactions? Or do you want the explanations, examples, and theory behind them? FWIW I use Pubchem and https://www.organic-chemistry.org/ for all the stuff I forgot, which being old, is a long list.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jim mcnamara said:
I can't give you a useful answer. Do you want sort of an encyclopedic guide to organic reactions? Or do you want the explanations, examples, and theory behind them? FWIW I use Pubchem and https://www.organic-chemistry.org/ for all the stuff I forgot, which being old, is a long list.
Haha I want a text with full explanations, mechanisms, examples, etc.

I appreciate the links! I'm not very good at e-books and websites for studying, but I'll definitely use them, thank you.

Well, something like March’s orgo book is certainly comprehensive, if a little advanced. I honestly don’t see an incredible amount of variety from intro orgo books. Though I’m always happy to recommend Corey’s Logic of Organic Synthesis and Nicolau’s Classics in Total Synthesis. The first was written by the creator of retrosynthetic analysis (he won his Nobel for it, among other things), the second is more aspirational: kind of a tour of some of the cleverest and most difficult synthetic feats ever accomplished.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Adesh
Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd is one of the best explanatory book on introductory Organic Chemistry to Adavanced topics. I personally find that book very easy to read, to refer and to learn. Although, a large part of book is devoted to introductory topics but we do have some advanced topics also in there. Its focus is mainly on me mechanisms and (as I personally found) stereochemistry, i.e. structure.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
TeethWhitener said:
Well, something like March’s orgo book is certainly comprehensive, if a little advanced. I honestly don’t see an incredible amount of variety from intro orgo books. Though I’m always happy to recommend Corey’s Logic of Organic Synthesis and Nicolau’s Classics in Total Synthesis. The first was written by the creator of retrosynthetic analysis (he won his Nobel for it, among other things), the second is more aspirational: kind of a tour of some of the cleverest and most difficult synthetic feats ever accomplished.
Thanks for this! I really like the content of both March's book and Nicolau's series.

1. Why do I need a new OChem book?

There are several reasons why you may need a new OChem book. Your current book may be outdated, not aligned with your course curriculum, or you may be struggling to understand the concepts from your current book. A new book can provide updated information and a different perspective on the subject, which may help improve your understanding.

2. What makes Klein's OChem book different from other books?

Klein's OChem book is known for its clear and concise explanations, use of real-world examples, and interactive online resources. It also includes practice problems and self-assessment tools to help students master the material.

3. Are there any other OChem books that are similar to Klein's?

Yes, there are several other OChem books that have similar features and are highly recommended by students and instructors. Some examples include "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden, Greeves, and Warren, and "Organic Chemistry" by Bruice.

4. Is it worth investing in a new OChem book?

Investing in a new OChem book can be beneficial for your understanding and success in the course. However, it is important to carefully evaluate your needs and the features of the book before making a purchase. You can also consider renting or borrowing the book from a library to save money.

5. Can I use multiple OChem books for my studies?

Yes, you can use multiple OChem books to supplement your studies. Different books may provide different explanations and examples, which can help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject. However, it is important to use the book recommended by your instructor as your primary resource.

Back