I need a valve for the quick release of air, help please?

In summary, AlfHI found a valve which can be opened fully, quickly, and is cost effective- RainBird irrigation valves.
nuclear-boy
hi,

im not sure that this is the correct category, or even the correct forum, but I am sure someone will answer my question,

i am intending to build an airgun, which uses a bicycle pump to build up pressure inside a treacle tin (hahaha), and i need a valve, so that when i have compressed the air enough, i will open the valve and the air will come out, but the problem i am having is, a normal valve, doesn't release the air quick enough so it doesn't push the projectile out of the barrel quickly enough, so what i am needing is a valve which can be opened fully, quickly.

please help, thanks in advance, alf

Engineering news on Phys.org
nuclear-boy said:
hi,

im not sure that this is the correct category, or even the correct forum, but I am sure someone will answer my question,

i am intending to build an airgun, which uses a bicycle pump to build up pressure inside a treacle tin (hahaha), and i need a valve, so that when i have compressed the air enough, i will open the valve and the air will come out, but the problem i am having is, a normal valve, doesn't release the air quick enough so it doesn't push the projectile out of the barrel quickly enough, so what i am needing is a valve which can be opened fully, quickly.

please help, thanks in advance, alf

study the release of a CO2 canister, in a flip way it is much like a balloon with a pin hole in it
turning it off is a whole other problem really your problem is not so much air speed its resevoir of propulsion or elongation of blast much like the old air daisy bb guns study that mechanism

please reply!

i need to know please.

please help me.

I did an experiment for quick release of compressed air.
Believe or not, the best valve i found that was cost effective was an ordinary
RainBird irrigation valve. These are designed for high water pressures.
These are electrically opened, this released all of the air until the pressure dropped to a certain point. I used the 1" model.

bob671 said:
I did an experiment for quick release of compressed air.
Believe or not, the best valve i found that was cost effective was an ordinary
RainBird irrigation valve. These are designed for high water pressures.
These are electrically opened, this released all of the air until the pressure dropped to a certain point. I used the 1" model.

thanks for your help, sorry i didnt reply sooner, i shall try one of those :) thanks again.

i'll see if i can find a picture and post it to photobucket

Like bob671 said a good irrigation valves works fine. There should be some examples of this type of setup over on spudfiles.com.

thanks for all of your help :)

thanks for all of your help, i greatly appreciate it :)

1. How do I determine the size of valve I need for the quick release of air?

To determine the size of valve you need, you first need to know the size of your air tank or container. Then, you can use a valve sizing chart to find the appropriate valve size for your specific tank.

2. What type of valve is best for quick release of air?

The type of valve that is best for quick release of air depends on the specific application. Some common types of valves used for quick release of air include ball valves, butterfly valves, and gate valves. It is important to consider factors such as pressure, flow rate, and compatibility with the air being released when selecting a valve.

3. Can I use any type of valve for releasing air quickly?

No, not all valves are suitable for quick release of air. Some valves may be designed for other purposes and may not be able to withstand the high pressure and flow rate required for quick release of air. It is important to select a valve specifically designed for quick release of air to ensure safe and efficient operation.

4. How do I ensure the valve is working properly for quick release of air?

To ensure the valve is working properly for quick release of air, you should regularly inspect and maintain the valve according to the manufacturer's instructions. This may include checking for any leaks, lubricating moving parts, and replacing worn or damaged components. It is also important to test the valve periodically to ensure it is functioning as intended.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a valve for quick release of air?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when using a valve for quick release of air. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, following proper operating procedures, and ensuring the valve is properly installed and maintained. It is also important to be aware of the potential hazards of releasing pressurized air and to take necessary precautions to prevent accidents or injuries.