1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need an advice help with a "Ballistic" problem/task

1. Mar 22, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

I am trying to solve the following "puzzle", but I feel like there is information I am missing. Not information in the problem, but a method to solve or something else.

I need your advice or help.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Put a material point with mass 45.93 on the N 42° 38.554 E 023° 13.911 coordinates. Launch it at angle 45° towards horizontal surface, with initial speed 373 km/h, in direction 29,5° azymuth.
    With the given details You must find where the ball will fall.

2. Relevant equations

attached.

3. The attempt at a solution

1094m - attached.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure if you are supposed to consider Coriolis and/or Earth's curvature for the range. Given that it is only about 1km, probably not.
    But I should think you are to give the answer as latitude and longitude. You may have to consider curvature for that.

Please do not post working as images. Those are for diagrams and textbook extracts. Take the trouble to type it in.
    Also, try to work purely symbolically, only plugging in numbers at the end. There are many advantages, not least that it makes it much easier for others to follow your logic. Rememeber to define your variables.

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's a little brighter version of your image, but haruspex is right -- it's better to type your work into the forum in your future posts here. Thanks.
    formula.PNG

5. Mar 22, 2017 #4
    And it's even better when you use LaTeX.

6. Mar 22, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted