I need an advice help with a "Ballistic" problem/task

• Thread starter BorPetVlad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ballistic
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a material point being launched at a specific angle and speed in a given direction. The goal is to determine where the ball will fall, potentially taking into account factors such as Coriolis and Earth's curvature. The conversation also includes advice on how to present work on the forum, including typing out equations and using LaTeX.
BorPetVlad
Hi All,

I am trying to solve the following "puzzle", but I feel like there is information I am missing. Not information in the problem, but a method to solve or something else.

I need your advice or help.

1. Homework Statement

Put a material point with mass 45.93 on the N 42° 38.554 E 023° 13.911 coordinates. Launch it at angle 45° towards horizontal surface, with initial speed 373 km/h, in direction 29,5° azymuth.
With the given details You must find where the ball will fall.

Homework Equations

attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1094m - attached.

Attachments

• formula.PNG
    formula.PNG
    37.1 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if you are supposed to consider Coriolis and/or Earth's curvature for the range. Given that it is only about 1km, probably not.
But I should think you are to give the answer as latitude and longitude. You may have to consider curvature for that.

Please do not post working as images. Those are for diagrams and textbook extracts. Take the trouble to type it in.
Also, try to work purely symbolically, only plugging in numbers at the end. There are many advantages, not least that it makes it much easier for others to follow your logic. Rememeber to define your variables.

Here's a little brighter version of your image, but haruspex is right -- it's better to type your work into the forum in your future posts here. Thanks.
formula.PNG

berkeman said:
it's better to type your work into the forum

And it's even better when you use LaTeX.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a "Ballistic" problem/task?

A "Ballistic" problem/task typically involves the study of the motion and behavior of projectiles, such as bullets or missiles, under the influence of gravity and air resistance.

2. How do I approach solving a "Ballistic" problem/task?

The first step in solving a "Ballistic" problem/task is to clearly define and understand the problem at hand. This includes identifying the initial conditions, such as the velocity and angle of the projectile, as well as any other relevant factors such as wind or air resistance. From there, you can use mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to calculate the trajectory and behavior of the projectile.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "Ballistic" problem/task?

One common mistake when solving a "Ballistic" problem/task is neglecting to account for all relevant factors, such as air resistance or changes in elevation. It's important to carefully consider all variables in order to accurately predict the behavior of the projectile. Another mistake is using incorrect equations or units, which can lead to incorrect results.

4. Are there any tools or software that can help with solving "Ballistic" problems/tasks?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators that can help with solving "Ballistic" problems/tasks. These tools use complex algorithms and equations to quickly and accurately calculate the trajectory and behavior of projectiles. However, it's important to have a basic understanding of the underlying principles in order to use these tools effectively.

5. Can "Ballistic" problems/tasks be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, "Ballistic" problems/tasks have many real-world applications, such as in the design of weapons and ammunition, the study of ballistics in forensic investigations, and the analysis of projectile motion in sports such as archery or golf. Understanding the principles of ballistics can also be helpful for engineers and scientists working on projects involving the launch or trajectory of objects.