Experiments: Get Creative and Make Something Useful

• Thread starter The P-manator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's process for coming up with and conducting experiments in chemistry. They start by finding interesting compounds or reactions, then research and gather necessary materials, and finally conduct the experiments step by step until reaching the end goal. They also mention using OTC chemicals and finding more enjoyment in designing their own experiments rather than replicating others'. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing excitement to try new experiments and encouraging the other person to share their own ideas.
The P-manator
I'm going to get back to experimenting soon and I would like some experiments. Something cool, fun, but with a meaning, a goal. Useful products would be fun, too.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is how I come up with my experiments. I read somewhere in a chemistry book or online about a cool compound or neat reaction and say to myself, "I want to try that out". Most of the time, I don't have the slightest idea how I would synthesize this compound. I first ask myself, "Do I have access to all the elements that make up this compound (either in elemental form or in another chem)?" If, no, then I do some research on OTC sources. Then, I start researching into its production. I first see if the industrial preparation is plausible and if it is, chances are I probably don't have some of the necessary reactants. Then, I look into synthesizing those reactants, and so on. Patents are also good to look at. A good knowledge of chemistry makes the process a whole lot easier but usually I learn the required chemistry of the reactions involved as I go. This is the primary way that I get myself to learn new chemistry. I write the whole process out on paper and it is not uncommon for me to have a lot of steps. Then I experiment each step at a time and the goal, which is usually pretty far off at this point, becomes to reach the end compound. I also use OTC chemicals...it makes the whole process a lot more challenging!

You could also see an experiment that is cool and then just buy the necessary reactants from some chemical supplier, but they takes away all the fun in my opinion.

If you are craving new experiments so badly, chances are you have already tried all of the kiddie demonstrations that are common. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend replicating experiments that are in experiment books. Try designing your own instead of asking for other people's. I am not trying to be rude, but I think you'll find it all the more enjoyable!

Thanks, I think I'll do exactly that. Now, where to start?

Good luck and be sure to share any neat ones you come up!

You bet! Already working on getting NaOH.

1. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment?

The purpose of conducting an experiment is to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. By manipulating one variable and measuring its effects on another, experiments allow scientists to make observations and draw conclusions about the relationship between these variables.

2. How do you design a successful experiment?

To design a successful experiment, you should begin by clearly defining your research question or hypothesis. Then, identify the variables that you will be manipulating and measuring. Next, determine the appropriate experimental design and control group. Finally, ensure that your experiment is replicable and that you have a large enough sample size to draw meaningful conclusions.

3. What are the key components of a well-written experimental procedure?

A well-written experimental procedure should clearly outline the steps and materials needed to conduct the experiment. It should also include any controls or variables that will be manipulated and measured, as well as the methods for data collection and analysis. Additionally, the procedure should be detailed enough for someone else to replicate the experiment.

4. How do you analyze and interpret experimental results?

To analyze and interpret experimental results, you should first organize and present the data in a clear and visually appealing manner, such as through graphs or tables. Then, you should look for patterns or trends in the data and compare them to your initial hypothesis. Finally, draw conclusions based on the results and discuss any potential sources of error.

5. What are some ethical considerations to keep in mind when conducting experiments?

When conducting experiments, it is important to consider the potential impact on human or animal subjects. Ethical guidelines dictate that participants must give informed consent and be treated with respect and dignity. Additionally, researchers must ensure that the benefits of the experiment outweigh any potential risks. Any deception or manipulation of participants must also be justified and kept to a minimum.