Electrolysis of Water -- Rate of Reaction?

In summary, Borek is asking if the rate of gas production is constant over time, and the answer is that it is not. The rate of gas production is affected by current and pressure.
Cheesycheese213
I'm so sorry if this is a bad question!

I am doing an experiment measuring the rate of gas production (hydrogen) of the electrolysis of water, and I got myself a bit confused about whether I have been taking the correct measurements?

I had originally thought that, since the "concentration" of the reactant wouldn't change (and I was using a large container of water), the rate of reaction wouldn't change over time when keeping all other variables constant. Also, I didn't think the electrolyte concentration would be affected over time either (other than maybe a slight increase because of the decrease in water?).
So, when doing the experiment I didn't take measurements of the gas volume over intervals of time (ex. every 30 sec or something), and just kept the battery connected for a set amount of time and took one volume reading at the end.

I am worried that I misunderstood something, and was wondering if the rate of reaction/gas production in the electrolysis of water does actually change over time?

Thanks! :D

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You just made a good case for doing the experiment again. Do you know the relationship between current and amount of gas produced? You should, then you would know why the current needs to be monitored.

Don't feel bad. It's normal to do an experiment, then realize that it needs to be done again because you learned something from doing it the first time.

Likes Cheesycheese213 and BvU
You also have to think about the pressure of the collected hydrogen. All gasses are easily compressible.

Likes Cheesycheese213
jrmichler said:
You just made a good case for doing the experiment again. Do you know the relationship between current and amount of gas produced? You should, then you would know why the current needs to be monitored.

Don't feel bad. It's normal to do an experiment, then realize that it needs to be done again because you learned something from doing it the first time.
Hello! Thank you so much! I thought that an increased current with nothing else changing would mean the amount of gas produced also increases? I just did another trial checking the current and the volume every 30 seconds, the current stayed constant (0.15A) and the volume also increased by a constant amount.
1614480569790.png

I'm not too sure if I'm understanding correctly, but does it mean that as long as the current stays constant throughout the rate of gas production should also be constant?
Thank you again! :D

Likes jrmichler
Henryk said:
You also have to think about the pressure of the collected hydrogen. All gasses are easily compressible.
Oh thank you, I forgot to consider that! :D

I suggest you read about Faraday's laws of electrolysis. While they don't address the reaction rate per se, they almost directly explain what to expect in your experiment.

Likes Cheesycheese213
I don't know if this is what Borek meant, but for the rate, considering the chemical equation for the reaction, calculate the moles/s of electrons transported in the 0.15 A current ( look up 'Faraday constant'), and calculate, assuming standard pressure and temperature, from the volume the number of moles of H2 produced, and see what the correspondence between these two experimentally independent measurements looks like.

Likes Cheesycheese213
Borek said:
I suggest you read about Faraday's laws of electrolysis. While they don't address the reaction rate per se, they almost directly explain what to expect in your experiment.
epenguin said:
I don't know if this is what Borek meant, but for the rate, considering the chemical equation for the reaction, calculate the moles/s of electrons transported in the 0.15 A current ( look up 'Faraday constant'), and calculate, assuming standard pressure and temperature, from the volume the number of moles of H2 produced, and see what the correspondence between these two experimentally independent measurements looks like.
Thank you! I've done some of those calculations now, it helped a lot! I guess I hadn't really understood electrolysis very well when starting the experiment :,D. I really appreciate all the help!

Likes berkeman
Cheesycheese213 said:
Thank you! I've done some of those calculations now, it helped a lot! I guess I hadn't really understood electrolysis very well when starting the experiment :,D. I really appreciate all the help!

"Don't tell us you have got the answer, tell us the answer you have got!"

1. What is the purpose of the electrolysis of water?

The purpose of the electrolysis of water is to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas using an electrical current. This process can be used to produce hydrogen gas, which can be used as a clean and renewable energy source.

2. What factors affect the rate of the electrolysis of water?

The rate of the electrolysis of water can be affected by the concentration of the electrolyte solution, the type of electrode material, the surface area of the electrodes, and the strength of the electrical current.

3. How does the concentration of the electrolyte solution affect the rate of the electrolysis of water?

The concentration of the electrolyte solution can affect the rate of the electrolysis of water by increasing the number of ions in the solution, which can increase the conductivity and speed up the reaction. However, too high of a concentration can also lead to a decrease in the rate due to the build-up of gas bubbles on the electrodes.

4. What is the role of the electrode material in the electrolysis of water?

The electrode material plays a crucial role in the electrolysis of water as it serves as the site for the reaction to occur. Different electrode materials can have different reactions rates and efficiencies, which can affect the overall rate of the electrolysis process.

5. How can the rate of the electrolysis of water be increased?

The rate of the electrolysis of water can be increased by increasing the surface area of the electrodes, using a higher concentration of electrolyte solution, and increasing the strength of the electrical current. Additionally, using catalysts on the electrodes can also speed up the reaction rate.