I need some insight about studying in Malaysia and Germany

In summary, the individual is seeking insight about job prospects for international students in Malaysia and Germany, specifically in the fields of mechanical/chemical engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are concerned about the chances of staying and working in these countries after graduating, as returning to their home country is not a viable option. They ask for advice on the employment rate, starting salaries, and internship opportunities for these majors at various universities. They also mention the importance of considering mid-career salaries and the cost of supporting a family in their target country. Additionally, they express interest in Germany and recommend targeting universities in metropolitan areas with high job opportunities and obtaining internships and high grades to make themselves more attractive to potential employers.
Notreallytrying
Hi everybody,
This is my first time posting here and I hope I'm in the Right place.
To give some back story, I'm Studying A-levels (international), I live in a 3rd world (developing) country where sciences are very neglected in terms of education, and job market for physical sciences (my 1st choice) graduates is virtually nonexistent. My budget allows for studying in a country like Malaysia or Germany.
And while engineering (my 2nd choice) jobs are quite available ( for some specific fields) the fast increase in the number of engineers is making it harder to find engineering jobs.
I want some insight about the job prospects for international students in Malaysia, I'm quite sure sciences there are quite neglected (maybe not to the same extent) especially in terms of job markets and research and please correct me if I'm wrong. So I'm specifically asking about the chances for foreigners of staying there to work after graduating with a mechanical/chemical engineering degrees (closest ones to sciences to my knowledge) .
I'm asking the same question but with regards to Germany and a science (Physics/Chemistry) degree.
To clarify My question concerns the chances of staying in the country after graduating to work there as returning to my country after getting any of the degrees listed above is like never leaving in the first place.
Please excuse my english it is not my first language.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For each major of interest, ask the university:
  • "What percentage of ____ majors from ____ university are employed within 3-6 months after graduation?
  • "Of those successfully hired within that 3-6 month period, what is the starting median salary from ____ university with the ____ major?
  • What percentage of students seeking an internship successfully obtain one each year?
Also check mid-career salary for your target country. You can compare this data against the cost of supporting a family there and sending money back to your home country.

Germany is a great place. It is easy to get a visa provided the salary offered is higher than a certain minimum. It is important to understand and be comfortable with the German culture and to speak C1 German. Target a university in a metropolitan area that has many jobs like the ones you want to work in. Get internships and high marks (grades). These things make you more attractive as an employee.

1. What are the main differences between studying in Malaysia and Germany?

There are several key differences between studying in Malaysia and Germany. One of the main differences is the language of instruction - in Malaysia, most universities use English as the primary language, while in Germany, many courses are taught in German. Additionally, the cost of living and tuition fees may vary between the two countries. Another difference is the education system - Malaysia follows a British-based education system, while Germany follows a more traditional European system.

2. What are the benefits of studying in Malaysia?

Studying in Malaysia has many benefits, including a lower cost of living compared to other popular study destinations. The country also has a diverse and multicultural society, which can provide a unique learning experience. Additionally, Malaysia has a growing economy and is home to many international companies, providing opportunities for students to gain practical experience and network with professionals.

3. What are the benefits of studying in Germany?

Germany is known for its high-quality education and has a strong reputation for academic excellence. Studying in Germany can also provide opportunities for students to learn a new language and experience a different culture. The country's central location in Europe also makes it easy for students to travel and explore other countries. Additionally, many universities in Germany offer affordable or even free tuition for international students.

4. How do I apply to study in Malaysia or Germany?

The application process for studying in Malaysia or Germany may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to submit an application form, academic transcripts, proof of language proficiency, and any other required documents. It is important to research the specific requirements for the university and program you are interested in and to submit your application before the deadline.

5. Is it possible to work while studying in Malaysia or Germany?

Yes, it is possible to work while studying in Malaysia or Germany. However, the regulations and restrictions may vary for international students. In Malaysia, students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during breaks. In Germany, students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week. It is important to check with the university and the country's immigration laws for more information on working while studying.