I need to know what something's called in English

  • Thread starter Thread starter Compaq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    English
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Compaq
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
You know, we make these sorts of schemes:

_________________-1__________4__________->x

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0------------------------

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -0------------

(x+1)(x-4)-----------0- - - - - - -0------------

What do you call this?

The reason why I want to know, is to find out how to make this in MathType^^
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see that you have roots
and then you make quadratic equation that has same roots
 
yes, but what do I call that way to decide when f(x)<0?

The numbers are random, for the purpose for my question..
 
going to calculus (and assuming that's something to do with polynomials) few other terms are
point of inflection, maxima, minimum points
 
Yes, thanks, but what do you call the entire form?
 
I don't know mathtype but if you want to produce something similarly formatted to what you have its most likely going to be some sort of array.
 
Compaq said:
You know, we make these sorts of schemes:

_________________-1__________4__________->x

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0------------------------

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0------------

(x+1)(x-4)----------0- - - - - - -0------------

What do you call this?

The reason why I want to know, is to find out how to make this in MathType^^
It took me a while to realize that this is what he means. I would definitely call this graphing.
_________________-1__________4__________->x

x+1- - - - - - - - - - 0++++++++++++++++++++

x-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -0++++++++++

(x+1)(x-4)++++++++0- - - - - - -0++++++++++