Theoretical and percent yield of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O from ferrous ammonium sulfate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 27K views
kirsten_2009
Messages
136
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Mass of Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate (limiting reagent) = 4.00 grams.

Mass of K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O = 2.54 grams.


QUESTIONS:

1. Using the above mass of ferrous ammonium sulfate calculate the theoretical yield of the K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O
2. What is the percent (%) yield of the K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O
3. Draw the shape of the complex ion {I have this one already...thanks! :)}
4. What is the oxidation state of the central metal ion?
5. What is the coordination number of the central metal ion?

Homework Equations



(1) FeSO4.(NH4)2SO4.6H2O + H2C2O4.2H2O --> FeC2O4 + (NH4)2SO4 + H2SO4 + 8H2O

(2) 6FeC2O4 + 3H2O2 + 6K2C2O4.H20 --> 4K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H20 + 2Fe(OH)3
+ 6H20

(3) 2Fe(OH)3 + 3H2C2O4.2H2O + 3K2C2O4.H2O --> 2K3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O + 9H2O


The Attempt at a Solution



O.k...I really have NO idea how to do this but here is what I think...
I understand that it's about stoichiometry, recognizing which reactant is the limiting reagent
and then calculating the moles of that reactant and then developing molar ratios. Then, when I have calculated my theoretical yield I could divide my actual yield by it and then multiply by 100 and get my percent yield. The problem is that the equations look long and complex and I'm intimidated. Also, I would have no clue as to the remaining questions. This assignment is worth a lot for me so any help anyone could offer me would be TRULY and GREATLY appreciated, thanks! :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are close. You don't have to recognize limiting reactant - you are already told which one it is. Try to approach it just looking at the number of moles of important reactants - that is, you start with x moles of Fe, how many moles of the final product can you produce? It is enough to count Fe atoms to get the idea.

--
 
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Here is my attempt...

So... ferrous ammonium sulfate = FAS & potassium trioxalatoferrate = PTOF

(1) 4.00 g FAS x (1 mol FAS / 392.14088 g ) = 0.010200415 mol of FAS.


0.010200415 mol FAS x (1 mol PTOF / 1 mol FAS) = 0.010200415 mol of PTOF

0.010200415 mol PTOF x (491.24274 g / 1 mol PTOF) = 5.01 g PTOF {theoretical yield}

(2) (2.54 g PTOF / 5.01 g PTOF) x 100 = 50.7 % {percent yiel}


(3) Got it.


(4) The central metal ion I believe would be iron (Fe) and it's oxidation state I think it would be +3?

(5) I'm not entirely sure as to what a coordination number is but as far as I know it's the number of atoms the atom in question is bonded to...? In this case I think it would be 6?

So far, is this correct? Thank for your time!
 
Last edited: