1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think I have a weak formal education in mathematics

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    For example:
    $$ y^{2} = 25- x^{2} $$
    $$ y = \sqrt{25- x^{2}} , -5\leq x\leq 5 $$

This part: $$ , -5\leq x\leq 5 $$

What is the name of this?If it were a function, it would be the domain. And for equations, and resolutions of equations, what is the name?

Other example, the equation:

xy = 1

It would restriction X ∈ ℝ
    However, if x ≠ 0 then
    y =1/x, x ≠ 0

But then returning to the above equation,
    xy = 1, It seems that it would have to have the same restriction x ≠ 0 and not X ∈ ℝ In order to have consistency.

What is the purpose of this topic?
    I showed some examples of how I do not have a solid background. I'm not convinced of what I am doing. And I'm not sure how to improve it, but I really want.

Can anyone recommend books to form a solid foundation in mathematics, to feel peaceful with, for example, above questions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The inequality indicates a restriction on the values of x. If you view y as being a function of x, the inequality explicitly gives the domain. Whether the inequality is present or not, the domain of the function is still ##-5 \le x \le 5##.
    Note that the second equation about is not equivalent to the first equation - their graphs are different.
    The graphs of the equation xy = 1 and y = 1/x are identical. For the equation xy = 1 there is an implied restriction that x cannot equal 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook