I want a good refrence for su(2) and it's aplecation

• Thread starter jhon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Su(2)
In summary, a good reference for SU(2) and its representation, Lie algebra, and applications in angular momentum is "Lie Groups for Pedestrians" by Lipkin. It is a Dover book that is both pedagogical and scientifically sound. It covers the theory of SU(2) and other complex Lie groups. While it may be an older book, it is still a valuable resource.
jhon
I want a good reference (not difficult) for su(2) for
Its representaion
Its lie algebra
It's applications in angular momentum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know your level of preparation and interest, but a good choice may be "Lie Groups for Pedestrians" by Lipkin. It's a dover book, so you can get it cheap. And don't be fooled by the title, the book is quite pedagogical and scientifically sound. It begins with the theory of SU(2) and proceeds to more complex Lie groups.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your advice

Of course, the reason its a Dover reprint is that is it rather old. I actually was assigned that book for a course in 1965.

Did you like it?

yes
and thanks agin

1. What is SU(2)?

SU(2) is a mathematical term that stands for special unitary group of degree 2. It is a type of Lie group, which is a continuous group of symmetries that can be described by matrices, and it plays an important role in physics and mathematics.

2. How is SU(2) used in physics?

SU(2) is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics. Specifically, it is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as rotations and transformations of spin states.

3. Can you provide a good reference for learning about SU(2)?

One highly recommended reference for learning about SU(2) is the book "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by Howard Georgi. Other good sources include online lectures and textbooks on group theory and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some applications of SU(2) in mathematics?

SU(2) has various applications in mathematics, including differential geometry, topology, and representation theory. It is also closely related to other important mathematical concepts, such as Lie algebras and Lie groups.

5. Is knowledge of SU(2) necessary for understanding advanced physics concepts?

While SU(2) is an important concept in physics, it is not necessary for understanding all advanced physics concepts. However, it is a fundamental concept that can greatly enhance one's understanding of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and other areas of physics.