1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to find Max horizontal range without

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    using [tex]\frac{v_0^2}{g_0}=R_{max}[/tex] for this problem:

You buy a toy dart gun and you want to calculate its Max Horizontal Range. You fire the gun straight upward and find that it takes 2.9 seconds for the dart to leave the barrel and then return to the barrel.

Can this be done without the formula. I already tried this:

[tex]V_y=v_{oy}+a_yt[/tex] to find that [tex]v_{oy}=14.21[/tex] I used v_f=0 and t=1.45 to find v_y initial. Now that should be equal to the magnitude of just plain [tex]v_0[/tex] right? or is that a false assumption?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, so the vo for the gun is 14.21m/s. That's correct.

Why can't you use that formula?

Strange... because I don't see how to calculate the maximum range without ultimately using or deriving that equation...

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    Well, I can...but I don't want to; I want to derive it but I am having trouble arriving at the same number I get by using the range formula.

I am assuming that I get max range at 45 degrees...is that not correct?

So range would equal [tex](v_0)_x*t=14.21\cos45*t[/tex] Right? BUt what do I use for t? I must have to eliminate it..huh?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  5. Oct 11, 2007 #4
    I got it. I used [tex]v_y=v_{oy}+at[/tex] to find t and then multiplied it by 2 to get [tex]\frac{14.21sin45}{4.9}=t[/tex] in [tex]\Delta x=v_{ox}*t[/tex] and got the exact same number...sweet.

Thanks again LP,
    Casey

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?