Projectile Motion: Finding the Angle

In summary: This is a summary of a conversation about using a toy gun with a spring to hit a target 3.00 meters away at the same height as the gun. The gun has a spring with a force constant of 300 N/m and a 10.0 g steel ball. The spring is compressed 7.00 cm and friction is negligible. The conversation discusses using the conservation of energy and kinematics equations to find the necessary angle to hit the target. After some mistakes, it is determined that the correct equation for vertical displacement is y = d*tan(θ)/2, where d is half of the range and θ is the angle above the horizontal.
Jazz

Homework Statement

A toy gun uses a spring with a force constant of ##\small{300 N/m}## to propel a ##\small{10.0\!-\!g}## steel ball. If the spring is compressed ##\small{7.00\ cm}## and friction is negligible:

At what angles above the horizontal may a child aim to hit a target ##\small{3.00\ m}## away at the same height as the gun?

Data:

##m = 10.0 \times 10^{-3}\ kg##

##k = 300\ N/m##

##x = 7.00 \times 10^{-2}\ m##

##Range = 3.00\ m##

Homework Equations

##PE_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2##

##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##

##v^2 = v_0^2 - 2gh##

##\bar{v}t = d##

The Attempt at a Solution

It's assumed conservation of energy in order to find the initial velocity:

##\Delta PE_{spring} = \Delta KE##

##\sqrt{\frac{kx^2}{m}} = v##

##v= 12.1\ m/s##

Then I broke the velocity and the displacement into their components (I skipped the units for simplicity). I used just half of the range, hence I took ##\small{d = 1.50\ m}##:

image.jpg
##\sin(\theta) = \frac{y}{x} \Rightarrow x\sin(\theta) = y##

##\cos(\theta) = \frac{1.50}{x} \Rightarrow x = \frac{1.50}{\cos(\theta)}##

##y = 1.50\tan(\theta) \hspace{35pt}(1)##

I wanted to know the height (y) the ball reached:

##v^2 = v_0^2 - 2gy##

##y = \frac{(12.12\sin(\theta))^2}{(2)(9.8)} = 7.50\sin^2(\theta) \hspace{35pt}(2)##

Combining equations ##(1)## and ##(2)##:

##1.50\tan(\theta) = 7.50\sin^2(\theta)##

##\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta) = \frac{1}{5}##

##2\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta) = \frac{2}{5}##

##\sin(2\theta) = \frac{2}{5}##

##2\theta = \arcsin(\frac{2}{5})##

##\theta = 11.79º\ or\ 78.21º##

Then by finding the time I wanted to comprobe whether the results I got are corrects. The time it took the ball to reach its maximum height, its horizontal displacement should have been ##\small{d = 1.50\ m}##:

##t= \frac{v\sin(\theta)}{g}= \frac{(12.12\ m/s)\sin(11.79º)}{9.8\ m/s^2} = 0.253\ s##

##v\cos(\theta)t = d##

##(12.12\ m/s)\cos(11.79º)(0.2527\ s) = 3.00\ m##

I don't know why I get this horizontal displacement. I expected to get ##\small{d = 1.50\ m}## and not the whole range.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've just discovered that the formula ##\small{range = \frac{v^2\sin(2\theta)}{g}}## is a more straightforward way to solve this problem :) ; but I still don't know what I'm doing wrong above.

At the beginning, I had mistakenly taken the work done by the spring as ##Fx##, which yielded a greater velocity that fits the 5.77-degree angle needed for a 3-m range, but the components of the velocities are overestimated, giving me the same problem as the one above.

Jazz said:
Then I broke the velocity and the displacement into their components (I skipped the units for simplicity). I used just half of the range, hence I took d=1.50 m\small{d = 1.50\ m}:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.postimg.org%2Frh6m0p2d3%2Fimage.jpg
sin(θ)=yxxsin(θ)=y\sin(\theta) = \frac{y}{x} \Rightarrow x\sin(\theta) = y

cos(θ)=1.50xx=1.50cos(θ)\cos(\theta) = \frac{1.50}{x} \Rightarrow x = \frac{1.50}{\cos(\theta)}

y=1.50tan(θ)(1)y = 1.50\tan(\theta) \hspace{35pt}(1)
In your triangle on the right you've assumed that the projectile will follow a straight-line path at angle θ This is not so! While the launch angle may be θ, the projectile follows a parabolic trajectory.

Your triangle for breaking the initial velocity into its components is okay.

Yep, your triangle on the right is incorrect as gneill said. Your calculation of initial velocity looks okay.
vcos(θ)t=d=3m is for horizontal displacement.What is the equation for vertical displacement when the ball hits the target at the same height as the gun?

Thank you, @gneill and @lep11, for answering.

]: True. The triangle is not taking into account the action of ##\small{g}## as the math part does. So I'm left without triangle there. It makes sense.

lep11 said:
What is the equation for vertical displacement when the ball hits the target at the same height as the gun?

I hope not to be confusing something, but the displacement in the vertical direction should be zero after hitting the target at the same height as the gun, shouldn't it?

Your help has helped to see where, I think, I was wrong. If a consider just half of the path, when the vertical velocity becomes zero, then an equation for the vertical displacement (that I'd called ##\small{y}##) is:

##y = \bar{v}t##

##y = \frac{v\sin(\theta) + 0}{2}t##

##y = \frac{v\sin(\theta)}{2}t \hspace{35pt}(1)##

Since half of the range, ##\small{d = 1.50\ m}##, was traveled in ##\small{t}## at ##\small{v\cos(\theta)}##, then:

##v\cos(\theta)t = d##

##t =\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)} \hspace{35pt}(2)##

##y = \left(\frac{v\sin(\theta)}{2}\right) \left(\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)}\right)## <--- Combining equations ##(1)## and ##(2)##

##y= \frac{d\tan(\theta)}{2}##

That is ##\small{y}## and not ##d\tan(\theta)##. Basically I had mistakenly taken the max. height traveled at constat ##\small{v\sin(\theta)}##, which in turn meant having changed just one side of the equation when I was trying to solve the problem.

Jazz said:
Thank you, @gneill and @lep11, for answering.

]: True. The triangle is not taking into account the action of ##\small{g}## as the math part does. So I'm left without triangle there. It makes sense.
I hope not to be confusing something, but the displacement in the vertical direction should be zero after hitting the target at the same height as the gun, shouldn't it?

Your help has helped to see where, I think, I was wrong. If a consider just half of the path, when the vertical velocity becomes zero, then an equation for the vertical displacement (that I'd called ##\small{y}##) is:

##y = \bar{v}t##

##y = \frac{v\sin(\theta) + 0}{2}t##

##y = \frac{v\sin(\theta)}{2}t \hspace{35pt}(1)##

Since half of the range, ##\small{d = 1.50\ m}##, was traveled in ##\small{t}## at ##\small{v\cos(\theta)}##, then:

##v\cos(\theta)t = d##

##t =\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)} \hspace{35pt}(2)##

##y = \left(\frac{v\sin(\theta)}{2}\right) \left(\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)}\right)## <--- Combining equations ##(1)## and ##(2)##

##y= \frac{d\tan(\theta)}{2}##

That is ##\small{y}## and not ##d\tan(\theta)##. Basically I had mistakenly taken the max. height traveled at constat ##\small{v\sin(\theta)}##, which in turn meant having changed just one side of the equation when I was trying to solve the problem.
You have left g out of your equations.Which kinematics equation relates acceleration=g, displacement, time, and initial velocity to each other?

Last edited:
lep11 said:
You have left g out of your equations.Which kinematics equation relates acceleration=g, displacement, time, and initial velocity to each other?

I guess it should be ##y = v\sin(\theta)t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2##.

Jazz said:
I guess it should be ##y = v\sin(\theta)t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2##.
You are right.

Last edited:
Using a geometric reasoning for finding ##y## wasn't good at all |: .

y= y0+vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2 now y=y0 so you can write 0=vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2 (where t is the total flight time of the ball)

0=vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2
vcos(θ)t=d=3m
Can you now solve for θ? You have two equations and two unknowns.

Last edited:
lep11 said:
y= y0+vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2 now y=y0 so you can write 0=vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2 (where t is the total flight time of the ball)

0=vsin(θ)t−0.5gt^2
vcos(θ)t=d=3m
Can you now solve for θ? You have two equations and two unknowns.

Well, now I can see what you've been trying to show me. It never came to my mind to use the equation for y along the whole trajectory.

This should be:

##0 = v\sin(\theta)t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2##

##\frac{1}{2}gt^2 = v\sin(\theta)t \hspace{25pt}| \hspace{25pt} v\cos(\theta)t = d##

##\frac{1}{2}gt = v\sin(\theta) \hspace{33pt}| \hspace{35pt} t = \frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)}##

##\left(\frac{1}{2}g\right)\left(\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)}\right) = v\sin(\theta)##

##\frac{gd}{v^2} = 2\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)##

##\frac{gd}{v^2} = \sin(2\theta)##

##\theta = \frac{\arcsin\left(\frac{gd}{v^2}\right)}{2}##

##\theta = \frac{\arcsin\left(\frac{(9.8\ m/s^2)(3.00\ m)}{(12.12\ m/s)^2}\right)}{2} = 5.77º##

Not that bad (:

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air as a result of an initial force, such as throwing or launching.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity.

How do you find the angle of projectile motion?

To find the angle of projectile motion, you can use the formula tanθ = (vy/vx), where θ is the angle, vy is the vertical velocity, and vx is the horizontal velocity.

What is the optimal angle for maximum distance in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum distance in projectile motion is 45 degrees, as this angle allows for the perfect balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity.

How does projectile motion differ in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, which means that the projectile will continue to travel at a constant velocity and angle without slowing down or changing direction. This differs from projectile motion in a non-vacuum environment where air resistance affects the motion of the object.